Gaming Networking/Modem Purchase Question

drakleon84

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hey there, I'm building a new i7 based rig with a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard. I want to get the most bandwith out of my network, and am going to be using Atlantic Broadband's max cable modem service. Up to Up to 12 Mbps/768Kbps.

I'm wondering if it would be an efficient purchase to buy my own Cable Modem (as opposed to renting what they provide, which I believe wil be a Motorola Surfboard SBV5220), and was looking at a newer model Surfboard, the MOTOROLA SURFboard SB5101 38Mbps Downstream, 30Mbps Upstream Cable Modem - OEM which is only $39 on newegg. Will my speeds increase with a purchase like this?

Also, would it be worth it to purchase a better network card to connect through, or should my GB mobo provide ample bandwith and not bottleneck me.

I'm simply looking to remove any serious bottleneck issues to provide me the best connection for gaming and downloading large files.

Thank you very much in advance for any help someone can offer :)

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Buy. The SB5101 I bought does a great job for me and my i7.

I am with Insight cable and have a solid 10Mb connection.
Recently tried to upgrade to the 20Mb service, but it is not available at my address :(

If you add a router, make sure it has the throughput you need. I had a Netgear VPN router (for work) that dropped my WAN connection to 6-7Mb.