Heatsink & Fan for Phenom II x3 720

CrashOverride90

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hello guys, I currently have a Phenom II x3 720 installed with the stock heatsink and fan. And now I want to overclock it but when i Overclocked this one from 2.8GHz to 3.1GHz the temperatures went up to 50 degrees idle. So I set it back to stock speeds.

So now I need some help selecting a cpu heatsink and fan which will be right for my cpu/motherboard. I want to make sure the heatsink isn't too big for my motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard, a mid tower case, and phenom ii x3 720 processor. If you google the pic of the motherboard then you'll see that the RAM slots are quite close so please tell me which heatsink and fan will fit my motherboard and processor.

Thanks, hoping for some nice replies.

EDIT: I was wondering will ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 work with my cpu/motherboard? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Solution
No problem then. The cpu heatsink is compatible with your cpu and mlotherboard. The case is wide enough to accomodate the heatsink. You're all set! :)

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Hello there, I have recently installed a Scythe Samurai Zz cooler on my 710 x3 (specs in sig) and am very happy with the results. I might even gain a few degrees to the good, as I couldn't find my Arctic Silver5 thermal paste when I went to install so I used the scythe supplied paste. I haven't reached 50c under load since it was installed, never mind idle, heh. It is apparently not rated for much stronger CPUs, but up to the 95w it is fine. I plan on migrating it to a new build with a quad core in january, but until then I am quite impressed with its performance.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Also should add, it is cheap, too. I got it on sale for $22, but normally doesn't go much above $30 anyway. I went with it over the ubiquitous Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer and other direct touch HSFs because it is more compact, and a downdraft design, keeping steady airflow over my Mobo as well.