4GB won't boot.

realmike15

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
i asked for 4GB of RAM for christmas. i currently have Vista 64-bit, and i play some games that can take advantage of the extra RAM.

i got the exact same DIMs i have but the 4GB version (2x2GB). identical model and everything, the only difference is the capacity. they're g.skill brand.

for the life of me, i cannot get these things to work. at first i couldn't even get my screen to register an image at Boot, but a quick BIOS update fixed that. there is a beta BIOS available thats a little newer than the one i upgraded too, but i hear if it bricks my computer theres no way to go back.

also, if i remove the one DIM or the other, it boots perfectly fine. if i then put both DIMs back in, the first Boot will get me all the way to the "Windows is Loading" screen and then i just get a blank screen for hours. Any boot after that will freeze up right at the Post Screen (Del for BIOS, F9 for Q-Flash, etc). if i remove a DIM boot and then put it back in again, it will let me get past the Post Screen again but only on the first boot, then it locks up everytime after that. is this a DMI issue possibly?

is there anything i can do, either in my BIOS or with windows to get this thing to boot properly. my motherboard supports 4GB. i checked the voltages they're reading 2.1v which is correct according to g.skill. my computer hardware is listed below.

heres the RAM and Mobo i'm using
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231152
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2676

edit: tried the beta BIOS. didn't do anything for me. still locks up at Post Screen or right before Windows Loading Screen.

realmike15

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
i appreciate the input, but that seems realllly unlikely since both DIMs work individually, in either RAM slots.

anyone have any prior experience with this?

realmike15

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
my mobo is in my original post, gigabyte says 4GB max RAM supported so...

i had checked my timings, voltages but i didn't try down clocking

in the end, i just reformated my HD and did a fresh install of Windows. no problem anymore. but i had to install Windows with just 1x 2GB DIM then stick the other one in after Windows was installed.... because it wouldn't boot the windows installer until i did.