Sign in with
Your question

First Comp Build Problems

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2008 1:32:22 AM

Specs:
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

BFG Tech BFGE96512GTOCE GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech

RAIDMAX SAGITTA 2 ATX-928WB Black 0.7mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Removable MB Computer Case

Got everything today and started my build. I've never even really looked into many computers before so i was taking my sweet time with it. Nothing was overly difficult except all the wiring. I honestly don't know if i got everything correctly.

Anyways i go to boot up the bad lad after i finished and there's no POST beeps. The first screen to pop up is this big colorful screen with my motherboard on it, gives me the option to hit TAB to go to the POST screen, which i try to do but it runs through that screen so quickly i don't have time to read it. I did catch a glance where it states i have 2.66ghz dual processor which isn't right it should be 3.0ghz.

After it flashes through that it takes me to a screen with a bunch of writing i don't quite understand but at the bottom it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data." Sometimes my comp will turn off after a little bit other times it'll run for a while.

I tried poppin in a Windows XP disc to no avail, so i tried my motherboard disc and it took me to a screen that stated "IDE drive doesn't exist or all primary partitions are occupied."

Anyone have any ideas on what i should do? Being my first build I was hoping it would go smoothly. All my fans seem to be working fine, my CD tray works. There's lights on my motherboard next to my RAM when i turn it on. Any help would be wonderful!

More about : comp build problems

September 3, 2008 1:59:00 AM

You need to set up the CD rom or DVD rom as your first boot device. Then turn it on with the Windows CD in the drive.
September 3, 2008 2:07:50 AM

Sorry if this seems to be a noob question. But how do i go about doing that?
Related resources
September 3, 2008 2:14:07 AM

When you power on, just keep hitting the delete key which should get you into the bios screen. Set the cdrom as the first boot device in one of those bios screens.
September 3, 2008 2:15:40 AM

You might want to enter the BIOS and make sure that speedstep isn't on (it underclocks your CPU when it's not all need - hence the lower 2.66 speed you saw). You might also want to turn off the logo screen so you can see the POST.

Make sure that when you are in BIOS that you set boot order to have the CD/DVD drive up first, so you can use the boot disk. It's probably trying to find the boot sector on the HDD, which doesn't exist yet.

Boot up with the disc and see if you get into Windows setup.
September 3, 2008 2:16:18 AM

Also you may need to update the bios, either before you install or after. The verifiying DMI pool data should read ..........success. I have the same board. After I got vista installed I was having power issues. The machine wouldn't shutdown completely. I updated the bios using the @bios utility, and viola my machine powers down. I went through all sorts of trial and error before I figured it out. I installed Vista though. If you start having issues with power management try updating the bios. Good luck.
September 3, 2008 2:23:05 AM

Good that your board works now nutbag.

I know it's a typo, but it made me laugh "viola" - I kept trying to figure out why a medium-sized string instrument would help you out :)  LOL
September 3, 2008 2:50:32 AM

I went into BIOS and changed my CD ROM as my first boot device, restarted my comp with the OS CD in the drive and still no dice. After the "DMI pool data" screen it just took me to an all black screen. So still no luck here..

How could i update BIOS without really having this computer running?

I wasn't able to find the "speed step" or the logo screen turn off, but i don't think that's one of my major concerns atm anyways.

After running through BIOS i've found that my CPU is running at ~92 degrees Celsius, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be at but I'm sure it's not that high. That is probably why my computer doesn't run very long right? Any ideas on that question too.. My CPU fan is installed and running, for only being on a minute at a time it shouldn't be getting that hot.
September 3, 2008 3:40:19 AM

I would remove the heat sink and remove the cpu, then reseat the cpu and apply a very thin film of thermal paste and reinstall the heatsink. If done correctly this should fix the overheating issue. Im sure you likely installed the factory heatsink and it came with the factory layer of thermal compound. Sometimes they have a protective plastic cover over it to keep it clean, you did remove this, right? I hope so. If not, this would explain the overheating.

Recheck that your cd is your 1st boot device and the power cable and ide ribbon (or SATA cable) is connected properly.
September 3, 2008 4:19:49 AM

You have pointed out a number of symptoms.
Turn off the computer, power supply and unplug the power supply.
Disconnecting all of the drives.
Remove any additional devices, cards, etc.
Reseat the cpu and cooler, check for any possible damage to the cpu or socket.
Reseat the RAM, better yet only use one stick in slot one for trouble shooting.
Reseat the power supply to the motherboard connections. If you have the ability, troubleshoot the power supply itself (voltage levels)
Reseat the graphics card.
Remove the M/B battery for > 1 minute. Reset the CMOS by shorting the cmos reset jumper for > 5 sec. Replace the battery.
Plug the power supply back in without any drives connected and restart the computer.
See what happens.
Plug the drives in one at a time and see if the problems persist.
Let us know what happens.

September 3, 2008 5:09:21 AM

92c. is way too high. The cpu is shutting down to protect itself.
When you remove the cooler, you can clean it off with some rubbing alcohol. I use a paper coffee filter to avoid loose contamination. Apply new paste, don't try to reuse the old stuff.
Mount the cooler with the motherboard outside of the case. Play with thr push pins so you know how they work. When you mount the cooler, push in diagonal pairs. It may take some effort. Look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are completely through and locked. If the cooler wiggles, it is not on right.

Don't forget to plug in the fan.
September 3, 2008 6:24:11 AM

First off, I'd like to say thanks to everybody's input it's been very helpful. I re-installed the CPU and heatsink and about 60 degrees is as high as i see it go up now. It's stopped the whole shutting down thing also so that is good.

As for the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" I've seen it say successful twice now but most of the time it wont. I'll boot my windows XP CD anyways and go to install a partition and the full (recommended) never leaves 0% so i tried a quick install and it hit 20% right off the bat but gave me this error. "Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connect to the computer." I'm using the windows XP cd i received with my dell laptop a while back this wont make a difference will it? I know the disk itself is fine because i used it just the other week.

One last note, the guide i was using stated before installing the optical drive make sure the jumper is set to "CS or Cable Select" I looked all over my drive and didn't find any jumper or switches so i just installed as is, could this be my problem? Thanks again.
September 3, 2008 10:28:29 AM

60 is still excessive
to trouble shoot the disk (i.e. will a Dell windows disk install on a non-Dell compter), try booting with another bootable disk. The purpose of my suggestion to run the system with one drive at a time was to isolate potential issues with the drives or the motherboard drive connections. Also, if you have a spare ata connected cd/dvd, try using that to boot instead of your sata connected dvd. Again, isolate the issues, one at a time.

Cable select is in regards to ata drives. Your Sata connected dvd will not have this option.
September 3, 2008 3:19:59 PM

Your CPU temp should be around 30 to 40 degrees celcius at stock settings. The higher the temp the worse it is on your cpu. The failure temp is around 80 degrees celsius.

It sounds as if part of your problem with the operatiing system is that you're using a laptop installation cd. I dont think this is going to work tbh. I have never personally tried to use it but I think these disks are designed to work with hardware specified to the laptop it was made for.

You should try to get your hands on an OEM copy of windows and try again. If you are still having issues based on the error message that you gave above after doing what Im suggesting above then I would suggest you try another hard drive.

Be very positive you have connected all of the cables correctly before you try another hard drive.
September 3, 2008 7:52:51 PM

Took my computer into Geek Squad to figure out what was going on. I pulled out my Windows XP CD and he told me my problem was i was using a Dell Windows XP CD that came with my sisters laptop a while back. He told me it wouldn't be compatible with my computer so that was most likely my problem.

I figured a windows xp cd was a windows xp cd..
September 3, 2008 10:44:40 PM

Those CDs that come with a Dell computer just allow you to put an image (esentially) of the way the system was when you bought it. Those CDs are tied to the original motherboard and will not work with another setup.

Sorry man. Shell out the $$$ for a Windows disk.
September 4, 2008 3:39:22 AM

Yes, you definitely need to buy an OEM version of Windows. Its the cheapest route by far. If you go into Best Buy and get a copy of windows it will run between 200 and 300 bucks.

Getting an OEM copy is just as good and is 1/3 to 1/2 the price.
!