Question on how to transfer files from a wd sata disk to my computer?

wonderer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hi I was wondering, well I have a little trouble.
I've got a 1Tb of WD 10EAVS, the power point was burnt so i took the skin off and left with the disk itself.
It's got like two sets of cables, one is red only and the other consists of yellow, red and black colours. My question is, would anyone able to help me as to how to transfer my files from the disk knowing there is no usb cable? I mean it will be too expensive to go to a computer technician or something just to transfer it. So it will be great if there's any other way/solutions?

Thank you for your assistance greatly appreciated.

Solution
I am guessing that he has the bare drive with a red SATA data cable and an IDE molex power connector. At least, I hope so.

The simplest thing to do is to open up the computer and install the drive in the computer, then transfer the files. Next would be to buy another USB drive enclosure, but you would need to make sure the internal cables matched exactly.
Welcome to the forums!

Could you please clarify what exactly you have taken apart?
I am hoping this was part of an external hard drive and you have only removed it from the plastic housing...
Did you disassemble the hard drive it self?
And you are now left holding the drive platters (set of shiny disks)?

I am guessing that he has the bare drive with a red SATA data cable and an IDE molex power connector. At least, I hope so.

The simplest thing to do is to open up the computer and install the drive in the computer, then transfer the files. Next would be to buy another USB drive enclosure, but you would need to make sure the internal cables matched exactly.

Solution

wonderer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

Well, i did take it apart from its plastic housing and realize that (after an extensive amount of researching) I could just simply buy the usb to sata/ide cable in order to transfer my sata disk.
lol yes, a shiny disk!

Thanks for the answer :)

wonderer

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

thanks jsc.
Well, I'm a she but that's okay :p.
Yes, I did an extensive research and concluded with a usb to sata/ide cable which I decided to buy immediately!

Thanks for the reply :)