Tags:
  • Optical Media
  • Download
  • Backup
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 4, 2010 7:51:35 AM

hi there, having own few hdd of different brands, many of em failed at one point or another. Fedup having to re-download and re-copy stuff. Since a single BD-R is now $3 for 25GB, i wonder if it is currently the most cost effective and reliable kind of backup media ? what do you think?

More about : backup cost effective

a b G Storage
February 4, 2010 11:13:23 AM

I have been using it as a backup in the last 2 years. The cost has gone down considerably but it is still expensive.

I need and use re-writable BD-DISC for system and data backup which is way more expensive than the write-once.

I use write-once disc for HD movies that i want to keep. Its not recommended for system and data backup.

I just purchase a 1TB external drive 2.5, USB2 for $139. It is a cheaper than BD-re-writable(not write-once) and more flexible to use. 2TB 3.5 USB2 external drive(big physically like a book) can be purchase for $70 when on sale. These are still cheaper and more flexible than BD disc.

The branded re-writable disc are the one that i use and it is reliable. Never had a bad disc for > 2 years of erasing and re-writing disc. Branded re-writable(multiple erase/write disc) are still expensive. But it is reliable and i use it for system/data backup.

Write-once disc are not suitable / recommended for system or data backup.

Its your choice.
m
l
February 4, 2010 1:27:34 PM

thanks, its not for system backup, so its good. thanks for the info on bd-r. sounds like a good buy
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
February 4, 2010 1:56:47 PM

Use the brand name bd-r disc. The branded disc are reliable for least > 2 years in my case.
m
l
February 4, 2010 3:54:41 PM

If You Backup Only The Most Important Of Things Yes, Id Say Its A Decent Backup Solution, Allthough Id Suggest Using Rewritebles
m
l