BD-R as backup, most cost effective?

zzzxtreme

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
hi there, having own few hdd of different brands, many of em failed at one point or another. Fedup having to re-download and re-copy stuff. Since a single BD-R is now $3 for 25GB, i wonder if it is currently the most cost effective and reliable kind of backup media ? what do you think?

leon2006

Distinguished
I have been using it as a backup in the last 2 years. The cost has gone down considerably but it is still expensive.

I need and use re-writable BD-DISC for system and data backup which is way more expensive than the write-once.

I use write-once disc for HD movies that i want to keep. Its not recommended for system and data backup.

I just purchase a 1TB external drive 2.5, USB2 for $139. It is a cheaper than BD-re-writable(not write-once) and more flexible to use. 2TB 3.5 USB2 external drive(big physically like a book) can be purchase for $70 when on sale. These are still cheaper and more flexible than BD disc.

The branded re-writable disc are the one that i use and it is reliable. Never had a bad disc for > 2 years of erasing and re-writing disc. Branded re-writable(multiple erase/write disc) are still expensive. But it is reliable and i use it for system/data backup.

Write-once disc are not suitable / recommended for system or data backup.

Its your choice.