Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bottleneck
  • Intel i7
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2008 12:23:51 PM

Hello
Im planning to upgrade my current system of a 8600gt, q6600, ecs motherboard etc..
I want a gtx 260 216 and possibly go sli in the future and i definatly want DDR3 the problem is whether i should go i7 or stay with 775. so with a quad core and the 260 216 sli what would bottleneck first the cpu or gpu. I'm planning to upgrade to last me quite sometime but wont be playing on MASSIVE resolutions, maybe mid to high.
Thanks for your help.

More about : core quad bottleneck

a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 12:37:02 PM

maybe you should just buy one 260 for your current system and see how well it performs. The difference between the 260 and your current 8600gt is going to be huge. And if overclocked the q6600 is still viable option for high performance rig. If it was me, I wouldn't upgrade the cpu, not yet anyways... and DDR3 on 775 is waste of money but for i7 it's the only option, so...
November 23, 2008 1:02:26 PM

scotty49 said:
Hello
Im planning to upgrade my current system of a 8600gt, q6600, ecs motherboard etc..
I want a gtx 260 216 and possibly go sli in the future and i definatly want DDR3 the problem is whether i should go i7 or stay with 775. so with a quad core and the 260 216 sli what would bottleneck first the cpu or gpu. I'm planning to upgrade to last me quite sometime but wont be playing on MASSIVE resolutions, maybe mid to high.
Thanks for your help.

I think you have to be around a 1.8ghz dual core or single core cpu to be truly cpu bottlenecked. Currently, anyway.
Related resources
November 23, 2008 1:09:27 PM

I would also recommend what kari said. since the 260gtx it a really good gpu and the 8600gt (sorry for saying) is a crapy gpu. With only a 260GTX you will see some major gains in you performance. That should help you for good gaming for another year atleast. And the money you save now you can spend it on a upgrade in a year or so when I7 will be alot cheaper and you will know what socket to get since intel will be releasing another socket:s
November 23, 2008 7:33:53 PM

8600 to a 260 is a different world. better fps, play at higher settings. kari gave you some good advice there!
November 23, 2008 9:11:31 PM

This weekend all the EVGA 260 GTX (and GTX Core 216's) are about $50 off at newegg. I jumped on one last night. The Core 216's are the same price today that the 192's were last week! It says weekend special though so you may jump on it right away if you can.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
November 23, 2008 9:53:57 PM

Thanks heaps for the fast replies
Yea i might do that, The major issue is im in Hong Kong but only for the next few months and there is a massive 2 story block that just has hundreds of stores with motherboards, cases, gpus, cpus etc and there are some really good deals so i want to upgrade now there fore im stuck with the choice of i7 and core 2. The i7 is faster and heaps better bang for buck but the possibility launch bugs are deterring me. My thinking was stay 775 and wait for extreme cores to come down in price, but at 1500 its way out of my league. i have the money to go i7 but i dont want to waste it if my gpu's will bottleneck before my quad core.
Thanks again
!