Computer randomly shutting down

cyprus88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I believe I recently ran into some overheating problems, although I'm not exactly sure.

I have completed any overclocking at the moment, but I am planning on doing so. If this is the wrong category, please move the thread.

CPU: Intel C2D E6600
GPU: EVGA 8800gtx
MOBO: EVGA nforce 680i SLI
MEM: pc6400 2x1gb Corsair Dominator
PSU: Ocz Gamexstream 600W

Recently, while playing video games, the computer shuts down as if someone had pulled the plug. I had temperature problems in the past. The stock heatsink and fan that came with the cpu wasn't doing the job. For this reason, I installed an OCZ Vendetta 2. This brought the temperature down significantly, but I still believe it is above average. Also, my Gpu has crapped out on me once before. EVGA promptly sent a replacement card. I believe I'm also having prolems with this card as well. While playing certain games, the gpu can reach temperatures of 85+. I've been trying to record the temperatures properly using various software programs such as SpeedFan, TAT, and Rivatuner.

Aslo, could it be a problem with the PSU? I do not know much about the railing system on PSUs, but I did notice this while using SpeedFan:

12959088.png

What does that mean?

+3.3@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@18A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3.0A (provided by newegg)

I have yet to clean out a small amoutn of dust in the computer. I will also try resetting the heatsink on the cpu. But, are the gpu temperatures normal for that card?

+3.3@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@18A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3.0A (provided by newegg)

Any help would be appreciated. Again, if this thread is in the wrong category, please tell me which one it is supposed to be in.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Load your PC with Prime 95 small ffts and see if it shuts down. then load your PC with Furmark and see if it shuts dow. This will isolate if it's a CPU or GPU problem.

If it doesn't, then run BOTH tests. If it shuts down then it's probably your PSU.

Put a voltmeter across each 12vdc rail when loading it. If it's at 11.6 or lower you got a PSU problem.

Your case could also be very poor for airflow. Post a pic/link to your case.

A 700 watt review of the same PSU.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=24

If it's old as the review and the issues with the PSU in the review, it could be the PSU. If a new PSU, I'd RMA it if the tests I listed above tell you anything

cyprus88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I reseated the heatsink and applied new thermal paste. Again, the temperatures are higher than normal. It's been almost 2 hours that prime95 has been running, and I have received no errors. The temperature is still way above average. As of right now it's hitting 75C.

I have a thermaltake armor.

thermaltake%20black%20armor%20atx%20case.jpg

I'll give the 12V+ a test once I get my hands on my friend's voltmeter.

I've had this setup running since Nov. of 2006. I haven't changed much.

cyprus88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I just tested the gpu using furmark. I put it on 1680x1050 and 4x MSAA. I ran the stability test with Xtreme burning for about 10 minutes. It reached 100C, then I stopped it.

I have a feeling that some of the case fans aren't really doing their job properly. The intake fan in the front barely pulls any air into the system. I can't even feel any air moving through the heatsink.

This is one of the reasons I do not like some of the OCZ power supplies. The 12 volt outputs are clearly inflated. You would think that, with four 18 amp rails, you would have 72 amps. 12 volts X 72 amps = 864 freakin' watts. I DON'T THINK SO.

And the way the dataplate combines the outputs, you really have no idea what the max 12 volt output really is. A good 600 watt PSU should be able to put out 45 amps @ 12 volts.

Assuming the PSU can produce 45 amps, your PSU is adequate. But you clearly have temperature problems.

From the screen shots provided it looks as if the temperatures are about what I would expect, the 12 volts is much to low and could be the cause of the computer shutting down, try another power supply. The GPU runs much hotter than the CPU so I would not be worried by your tempratures.

cyprus88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I'm really stumped on the problem though. My temperatures have been running like this since I have had the computer. Which was three years ago. My games would run fine. I was able to play graphic intensive games for hours, and I wouldn't even get a hiccup sometimes.

Once I tried MW2, the computer wants to drop on me. I guess the computer is just trying to tell me not to play activision games. :/

What's the chance it's just a PSU problem?

Things I tried:

- Ran the games with the case opened - problem
- Ran prime95 - no problem
- Ran Furmark - no problem
- Cleaned out the case - problem
- Reset the heatsink, applied new thermal paste - problem, but lowered temps.

Things I haven't done:

- Run prime95 and Furmark at the same time.
- Blow air using a desktop fan into the case.
- Tried another PSU
- Check the voltages using a voltmeter
- Heatshrinking

BIOS reads the 12V+ as 12.46V.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Bios is under no load. Try the fan into the case, but the PSU isn't top notch and getting old. They are usually the first to show their age, caps go first.

IF you can try another PSU able to supply your system try that.

Load Furmark and prime 95 small fft at the same time. I'm surprised you haven't tried it yet.

mtnduman

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

I have the same thing going on. It only happens with two games, MW2 and Borderlands. I have, like you did, tryed everything possible. Switched out cpu, gpu, ram, and power suply. Ran temp tests, fan speeds. All I can think of is it's just the coding in those games. Very strange that it's just off and on right away. It's very random, coudl be one min, four hours or not at all.