How reliable are Tungsten C's?

January 22, 2005 4:11:52 AM

Hello,
I'm thinking about buying a Tungsten C, but am alittle concerned. Why
are there so many on ebay? Most have broken screens, or are as-is. There are
very few ipaq's on ebay, and I haven't found any listed with broken screens.
Right now my decision is between the Tungsten C and the ipaq h4355 or ipaq
h4155. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

More about : reliable tungsten

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 7:26:48 AM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:11:52 +0000, Larry Gray wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm thinking about buying a Tungsten C, but am alittle concerned. Why
> are there so many on ebay? Most have broken screens, or are as-is. There are
> very few ipaq's on ebay, and I haven't found any listed with broken screens.
> Right now my decision is between the Tungsten C and the ipaq h4355 or ipaq
> h4155. Any opinions appreciated.

There are so many primarily because they have been out for a while it
hasn't been updated by Palm. So many people are getting tired of them and
wanting something new.

The broken screen/as-is are those people who actually used their Palms and
wore them out and are trying to sell them for parts to other people.

The reason you see very few Ipaqs on eBay is because:
1. They don't sell nearly as well as the Tungsten C.
2. iPaqs are primarily purchased by companies who have been lied to by
Microsoft. So not many individuals would have them up on eBay.

My experience has been that people who have Palms actually USE them - all
day, every day. People who have iPaqs normally have them sitting in their
desk - either not using them, or charging up, or doing a full restore
after the battery dies and it loses all its memory. The ones who
"use" their iPaqs usually have them off because of the extremely poor
battery life (when compaired to Palm's).

My Tungsten C has been a reliable device since I bought it (when they
first came out). I have had no issues with it and I take it everywhere I
go. Only now am I getting a slight problem with digitizer drift (which
occurs on every handheld) where I am having to recalibrate it every month
or so.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 2:32:25 PM

On or about depending on the hamsters Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:26:48 -0500,
Ranma <tendo@dojo.org.jp> permuted the language to say:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:11:52 +0000, Larry Gray wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm thinking about buying a Tungsten C, but am alittle concerned.
>> Why
>> are there so many on ebay? Most have broken screens, or are as-is.
>> There are
>> very few ipaq's on ebay, and I haven't found any listed with broken
>> screens.
>> Right now my decision is between the Tungsten C and the ipaq h4355 or
>> ipaq
>> h4155. Any opinions appreciated.
>
> There are so many primarily because they have been out for a while it
> hasn't been updated by Palm. So many people are getting tired of them
> and
> wanting something new.
>
> The broken screen/as-is are those people who actually used their Palms
> and
> wore them out and are trying to sell them for parts to other people.
>
> The reason you see very few Ipaqs on eBay is because:
> 1. They don't sell nearly as well as the Tungsten C.
> 2. iPaqs are primarily purchased by companies who have been lied to by
> Microsoft. So not many individuals would have them up on eBay.
>
> My experience has been that people who have Palms actually USE them - all
> day, every day. People who have iPaqs normally have them sitting in
> their
> desk - either not using them, or charging up, or doing a full restore
> after the battery dies and it loses all its memory. The ones who
> "use" their iPaqs usually have them off because of the extremely poor
> battery life (when compaired to Palm's).
>
> My Tungsten C has been a reliable device since I bought it (when they
> first came out). I have had no issues with it and I take it everywhere I
> go. Only now am I getting a slight problem with digitizer drift (which
> occurs on every handheld) where I am having to recalibrate it every month
> or so.

My T|C has been incredibly reliable. Use it everyday, all day. And to deal
with my paranoioa about problems I have a Proporta aluminium case for it
(you could drop a brick on it without any damage), a charger cable for
top-ups at work (though I can go a full day without any trouble), and
BackupBuddyVFS on an SD card so that in the unlikely event of a full crash
I can restore everything wherever I am (never had to use it!)

Definitely agree that I rarely see other people use their IPAQs (or even
T|n devices) except for checking their diary. Most impressive part of the
T|C. Well I can be in a meeting, jotting notes (thumb-board is great) and
email them round in Word format (Docs to Go v7) before anyone is back at
their desk.

--
Words
http://www.permuted.org.uk

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client (even for mail!)
+ Palm Tungsten C
January 24, 2005 3:49:04 PM

Very good answer. I agree whole heartedly. Love my Tungsten C. I also have a
T3, with WifI card. Until you get it, the card sticking out doesnt seem like
an issue. It is

"Ranma" <tendo@dojo.org.jp> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.01.22.09.26.47.278497@dojo.org.jp...
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:11:52 +0000, Larry Gray wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I'm thinking about buying a Tungsten C, but am alittle concerned.
Why
> > are there so many on ebay? Most have broken screens, or are as-is. There
are
> > very few ipaq's on ebay, and I haven't found any listed with broken
screens.
> > Right now my decision is between the Tungsten C and the ipaq h4355 or
ipaq
> > h4155. Any opinions appreciated.
>
> There are so many primarily because they have been out for a while it
> hasn't been updated by Palm. So many people are getting tired of them and
> wanting something new.
>
> The broken screen/as-is are those people who actually used their Palms and
> wore them out and are trying to sell them for parts to other people.
>
> The reason you see very few Ipaqs on eBay is because:
> 1. They don't sell nearly as well as the Tungsten C.
> 2. iPaqs are primarily purchased by companies who have been lied to by
> Microsoft. So not many individuals would have them up on eBay.
>
> My experience has been that people who have Palms actually USE them - all
> day, every day. People who have iPaqs normally have them sitting in their
> desk - either not using them, or charging up, or doing a full restore
> after the battery dies and it loses all its memory. The ones who
> "use" their iPaqs usually have them off because of the extremely poor
> battery life (when compaired to Palm's).
>
> My Tungsten C has been a reliable device since I bought it (when they
> first came out). I have had no issues with it and I take it everywhere I
> go. Only now am I getting a slight problem with digitizer drift (which
> occurs on every handheld) where I am having to recalibrate it every month
> or so.

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:23:44 AM

I really liked my T|C -- even bought one for my daughter. Mine had to go
through repairs/replacement process too many times, however, and
eventually it had a freakish run-in with my mobile phone that resulted
in a bizarre display issue that was the last straw -- and so I decided
to replace it (see my write up at
'http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~dubnick/acct/2005/03/fill...;'
(http://tinyurl.com/4mbxm) it links back to original story and pics of
damage). Looked at all the options (including another C) and ended up
with an HP 4705 -- high end and expensive option, but it seems to have
everything (including better battery than most Win OS, wireless,
bluetooth, and a thumb board accessory). The unit is waiting for me
when I return home next week from Europe, and I will post my reactions
at my blog. But I guess the bottom line is that I liked theC and would
have done it again if I had not had a 'history' with it and if there
wasn't the 4705 option.... I am going to miss the palm os....

--
meldub
March 19, 2005 1:39:42 AM

meldub <meldub.1lz9rm@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> aszonygya:
:D amage). Looked at all the options (including another C) and ended up
:with an HP 4705 -- high end and expensive option, but it seems to have
:everything (including better battery than most Win OS, wireless,
:bluetooth, and a thumb board accessory). The unit is waiting for me
:when I return home next week from Europe, and I will post my reactions
:at my blog. But I guess the bottom line is that I liked theC and would
:have done it again if I had not had a 'history' with it and if there
:wasn't the 4705 option.... I am going to miss the palm os....

Please tell us about the built-in and 3rd party software available for the HP
4705.

Any good IMAP e-mail reader? Any ssh program? Any good web browser? Any good
text editor? Any [Palm style] DOC reader? Any good database?

Thanks, PaulN
!