Linsky routers weak signal

clarkkimball

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I have just installed a new Linsky Router. At first I received a strong wireless signal. I then tried to secure the network, but I did not know the access code for my own router. I then disabled the security setting and then no signal was showing at all! I have three wired computers and a phone line all working fine. I thought their might be something wrong with the router and exchanged it. I reset up the router with the same results. I can see a weak signal drifting in and out and the same for my neighbors. I have tried moving my laptop right next to the router and nothing. SSID is enabled and I have tried changing channels. I have done system restore on my laptop and disabled firewalls. I tried to move the antenae around a bit. There is some ductwork near the router and other objects that might interfere as well.

clarkkimball

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Thank you for the time that you spent considering my problem. I am grateful. After all of my hours of frustration, when I checked it the next day, it was working. Can not complain. Now I am wondering if I try to secure the network, I will screw it up again. Best Regards. Clark Kimball

festerovic

Distinguished
One way to limit the variables affecting your network is to secure it. My personal preference is to use WPA2, along with MAC address filtering, using Static IP addresses (DHCP turned off).

I have mentioned this numerous times on this board - investigate alternate firmwares from 3rd parties for your linksys router. My favorite is DDWRT, but there is also Tomato. Google DDWRT or Tomato for info on if your router supports it. One excellent feature of both is that you can boost the signal strength much higher than the stock firmware allows.

Let me know if you want help configuring your router further, I'm happy to help.

clarkkimball

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks again for your valuable advice. I will certainly look into the DDWRT.

Clark Kimball