File Sharing

I cannot share file with my xp Home
I go to explore, sharing and security; sharing; and select share this folder
on the network.

I get the message : An error occurred while trying to share my shared file.
The server service is not started.

The shared resource was not created at this
time.

Any ideas how I can share documents or folders? It almost looks like a
service doesn't start. Could it have been corrupted?

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about file sharing

    Have a look at:-
    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

    It is after I check the box to share the folder and then click OK that I get
    the error message

    Mike L. wrote:
    > I cannot share file with my xp Home
    > I go to explore, sharing and security; sharing; and select share this folder
    > on the network.
    >
    > I get the message : An error occurred while trying to share my shared file.
    > The server service is not started.
    >
    > The shared resource was not created at this
    > time.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can share documents or folders? It almost looks like a
    > service doesn't start. Could it have been corrupted?
    >
    > Thanks

    Which specific folder are you trying to share? Protected systems
    folders, such as "C:\Program Files", and their sub-folders cannot be shared.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the error, I made a
    test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an administrators
    account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a system or hidden
    folder.

    Mike L. wrote:
    > Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the error, I made a
    > test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an administrators
    > account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a system or hidden
    > folder.

    The "My Documents" folder *is* a protected system folder. You need to
    create a folder outside of the C:\Documents and Settings\ hierarchy, if
    you want to share it over a network.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "" wrote:
    > Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the
    > error, I made a
    > test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an
    > administrators
    > account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a
    > system or hidden
    > folder.
    >

    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    > > Mike L. wrote:
    > >> I cannot share file with my xp Home
    > >> I go to explore, sharing and security; sharing; and select
    > share this
    > >> folder on the network.
    > >>
    > >> I get the message : An error occurred while trying to
    > share my shared
    > >> file. The server service is not started.
    > >>
    > >> The shared resource was not
    > created at
    > >> this time.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas how I can share documents or folders? It almost
    > looks like a
    > >> service doesn't start. Could it have been corrupted?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >

    > > Which specific folder are you trying to share? Protected
    > systems folders,
    > > such as "C:Program Files", and their sub-folders cannot be
    > shared.
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > >
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    > count on having
    > > both at once. - RAH

    Is the "Server" service running?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-File-Sharing-ftopict417363.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1393814

    I did that. It still did not work.
    > Mike L. wrote:
    >> Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the error, I made a
    >> test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an administrators
    >> account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a system or
    >> hidden folder.
    >>

    > The "My Documents" folder *is* a protected system folder. You need to
    > create a folder outside of the C:\Documents and Settings\ hierarchy, if
    > you want to share it over a network.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    That might be it. (Right click my computer|manage|services.) I looked for
    the SERVICE service and don't see it. Is there any way to get it displayed
    and start it?

    Thanks

    "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the
    > > error, I made a
    > > test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an
    > > administrators
    > > account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a
    > > system or hidden
    > > folder.
    > >

    > > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    > > share this

    > > share my shared

    > > created at

    > > looks like a

    > > > Which specific folder are you trying to share? Protected
    > > systems folders,
    > > > such as "C:Program Files", and their sub-folders cannot be
    > > shared.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Bruce Chambers
    > > >
    > > > Help us help you:
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > > >
    > > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    > > count on having
    > > > both at once. - RAH
    >
    > Is the "Server" service running?

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-File-Sharing-ftopict417363.html

    That should be SERVER service

    "Mike L." <no.spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > That might be it. (Right click my computer|manage|services.) I looked
    > for the SERVICE service and don't see it. Is there any way to get it
    > displayed and start it?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >> "" wrote:
    >> > Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the
    >> > error, I made a
    >> > test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an
    >> > administrators
    >> > account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a
    >> > system or hidden
    >> > folder.
    >> >

    >> > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    >> > share this

    >> > share my shared

    >> > created at

    >> > looks like a

    >> > systems folders,
    >> > shared.

    >> > count on having
    >>
    >> Is the "Server" service running?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >> request
    >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> Topic URL:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-File-Sharing-ftopict417363.html
    >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1393814

    I share My Documents folder with a wireless laptop with no problems.

    You might check this to be sure that your Network Connections settings will
    allow File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.Go to Start>Network
    Connections>Right click on Local Area Connection>Properties>and be sure that
    you have it checked to allow File and Printer Sharing.

    Mike L. wrote:
    > Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the error, I made a
    > test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an administrators
    > account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a system or hidden
    > folder.

    The "My Documents" folder *is* a protected system folder. You need to
    create a folder outside of the C:\Documents and Settings\ hierarchy, if
    you want to share it over a network.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    That was it.

    I went to the connection properties. File and print sharing were not there.
    I added them to the "this connection uses the following items:" and now all
    is well.

    Appreciate the help.

    Thanks

    Mike

    "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
    >I share My Documents folder with a wireless laptop with no problems.
    >
    > You might check this to be sure that your Network Connections settings
    > will
    > allow File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.Go to Start>Network
    > Connections>Right click on Local Area Connection>Properties>and be sure
    > that
    > you have it checked to allow File and Printer Sharing.
    >

    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    > Mike L. wrote:
    >> Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the error, I made a
    >> test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an administrators
    >> account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a system or
    >> hidden
    >> folder.
    >>

    > The "My Documents" folder *is* a protected system folder. You need to
    > create a folder outside of the C:\Documents and Settings\ hierarchy, if
    > you want to share it over a network.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Glad to hear that "all is well". Hope that you had a great Labor Day.

    ColTom2

    > That was it.
    >
    > I went to the connection properties. File and print sharing were not
    > there. I added them to the "this connection uses the following items:" and
    > now all is well.
    >
    > Appreciate the help.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "ColTom2" <noemailaddress@none.com> wrote in message
    >>I share My Documents folder with a wireless laptop with no problems.
    >>
    >> You might check this to be sure that your Network Connections settings
    >> will
    >> allow File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.Go to Start>Network
    >> Connections>Right click on Local Area Connection>Properties>and be sure
    >> that
    >> you have it checked to allow File and Printer Sharing.
    >>

    >> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    >> Mike L. wrote:
    >>> Any folder. I started with my documents. When I got the error, I made
    >>> test folder to share. I made sure I was sharing from an administrators
    >>> account (I am using XP Home). I am not trying to share a system or
    >>> hidden
    >>> folder.
    >>>

    >> The "My Documents" folder *is* a protected system folder. You need to
    >> create a folder outside of the C:\Documents and Settings\ hierarchy, if
    >> you want to share it over a network.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

File Sharing Microsoft Windows XP