Sign in with
Your question

Can a better CPU increase connection speed?

Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2008 2:34:07 PM

Sorry if this question is over asked, but I was wondering if a better CPU can increase my down load speed. My friend recently upgraded from some old CPU to a e8400@stock, he noticed that a file he once took 2weeks to download now took only 2days.

I have increased my computer's RAMs by 1GB a year ago, and I noticed that my ping from an online game went from 62 to 54.

So I was wondering (if CPU really does improve internet speed) how much a e8400@stock would boost my internet speed compared to my P4 3.06ghz. I know internet speed is also based on your internet as well, probably my computer is bottle necking it?

Thanks for any help.
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 2:46:20 PM

While it may have appeared to help your friend, it won't. While he may have gotten a fast download, it was not due to a processor upgrade.
Internet/download speed is limited by your connection speed, and internet traffic. Even if your internet connection is what most home users considered very fast, say 4-6meg per second, even a 14 year old 486 machine could handle that with ease.
Nothing you do, except upgrading to a faster internet connection will help.
November 23, 2008 3:36:02 PM

although i do agree with jitpublisher for the most part, a faster processor will allow web pages to appear faster, NOT LOAD FASTER, simply because an older processor won't be able to handle a lot of data quickly. so your internet may seem faster, even though your processor was just bottlenecking your internet connection
Related resources
November 23, 2008 3:44:38 PM

i can still download stuff at 800KB a second on my old P2 computer. my internet's at 8mpbs/1mbps
November 23, 2008 3:57:07 PM

Questions like this just goes to show you how much work there is to be done on educating people about computer science.
November 23, 2008 6:50:35 PM

The biggest user-controllable factors to download speed are the protocol and the application performing the download. A lightweight (assembly coded) binary using one or a few FTP or direct TCP/IP connections takes next to no CPU resources to download. A C-compiled web browser parsing metadata and bloated Java code to determine what to download next via HTTP would obviously tax your CPU and disk a lot more.

Your disk needs to be open to accept downloaded data. If it's thrashing from lack of RAM, or it spins slowly and is heavily fragmented, downloads can get momentarily placed on hold while the disk catches up.
November 25, 2008 6:27:31 AM

Thanx for via lesson wr you get a +1 . Internet speed is way way to slow to bring any cpu to its knees seeing how much data can travel via the front side bus to be processed in comparison to that of the connection speed. If you only browsing the net get more ram and a faster hard drive.
!