tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hello!

I'm looking for a new HDD and since i do alot of recording with fraps and video editing i need some space on my computer, right now i got 400gb and i fill it up within a month of a fresh install...

So i was wondering if i should buy 2x 1TB HDD and make 2 partions on 500gb each or if i should buy 1x 2TB HDD and make 4 partions 500gb each. What is the more reliable and quick option? (maybe i can go with 2x 1.5TB HDD's too if i find some good)

Western Digital or Samsung will be my choice since i've never had problems with their HDD's before. Dont mention price since i can easily figure out wich option would be cheapest myself :).

If you got links on a HDD that you think is great, post it for me and i would be really glad! Newegg is the best!

sub mesa

Distinguished
1.0 and 1.5TB drives are cheaper (per GB) than 2.0TB drives.
2.0TB drives consist of at least 4 platters - making it warmer than others and also potentially less reliable.

I would stick with 1.0 and 1.5TB when possible. 2 disks in RAID0 might even be an option; since the FRAPS recordings you make may not need any redundancy or backup; only when you're finished with it perhaps. The additional speed may be welcome if you use lossless compression or no compression at all.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would personally use the 2 x 1TB WD caviar Black models for speed and reliability, solid products, not to mention it'll likely be $100.00 cheaper than a 2TB version of the same model.

Also, if one drive decides to fail, it's more easy to replace than the 2TB model without the prospect of losing half information.

tisello

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
ok thanks for the answers, will keep it in mind when i buy the stuff :)

But "2 disks in RAID0 might even be an option" i'm quite new so i dont really know what RAID are, if someone could explain in further detail it qould be great :)

steve9207

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009

Here's the FAQ on RAID set-ups (you'd be looking at a RAID Level 0 set-up for what you wanna do). RAID0 splits data into stripes across both drives (so say you buy two 1TB drives and put them in RAID0, they'd show up as one 2TB drive, but you can partition them down from there). RAID0 is good if you're reading large blocks of data consecutively. The downside; if one of the two drives fails, you lose everything, so back-ups are a must here (unless you're not concerned about losing whatever data you have on the drives - I'm not familar with what you're doing, FRAPS, etc so maybe it doesn't matter for you). Lastly, you'd just want to check to make sure your PC supports RAID configurations.

Steve