Sign in with
Your question

Why do you oc?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 4:02:11 PM

i see a lot of overclocking on this website and im curious why people do it? ive overclocked my E8500 to 4.2 Gighz stable but then i realized wow this is wayy too much juice. i can run most applications/games fine on 1.9 gighz downclocked. so im curious why people oc. is it for fun or to get that extra second speed time?

More about : question

November 23, 2008 4:14:16 PM

We do it because we can.
November 23, 2008 4:20:41 PM

why not test the limits of your investment?
Related resources
November 23, 2008 4:28:23 PM

It's to get more power out of your processor. Would you rather a 2.8 or 4.2 GHz processor? Obviously the latter, and most do it for gaming not just basic apps. And I don't know what games you're running on a 1.9GHz processor?
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 4:36:40 PM

jeteryankees22 said:
It's to get more power out of your processor. Would you rather a 2.8 or 4.2 GHz processor? Obviously the latter, and most do it for gaming not just basic apps. And I don't know what games you're running on a 1.9GHz processor?

thats 1.9 on 2 cores mind you:

bioshock, steam games, unreal tournament 2007, call of duty 4

all of these are handled ATLEAST 60 fps on max settings with 1.9 gighz. less power usage, cooler cpu. does not make sense to beef it up anymore 'just to do it' you can drive a ferrari with your feet it does not mean its ment to be done.
November 23, 2008 4:37:07 PM

I do it for the power, 2.4ghz stock on this Q6600 is noticibly slower in...everything, than OCed to 3.2. Ive taken it higher than 3.2ghz, but its worthless basically, as I only see/get returns in benchmarking which I dont care about.
November 23, 2008 4:44:35 PM

i agree that at lower clock speeds, game are slower in FPS. with the games i play, i notice slowing down during hectic scenes at stock speed. OC-ing smooths it out much more.
November 23, 2008 4:47:27 PM

fun
November 23, 2008 4:57:39 PM

werxen said:
you can drive a ferrari with your feet it does not mean its ment to be done.

That doesn't even make sense with your argument , using your feet to drive a car is a down grade you would have been better off comparing it to adding nitrogen into your engine. Just wanted to point out your low level of logic.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
November 23, 2008 5:36:39 PM

Increased performance. Cannot say free preformance, because, with Intel, anything more than one speed bin faster (say, for example, an E or Q6600 to 3.0 GHz) needs better cooling.
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 5:55:24 PM

stonedallday420 said:
That doesn't even make sense with your argument , using your feet to drive a car is a down grade you would have been better off comparing it to adding nitrogen into your engine. Just wanted to point out your low level of logic.

heres the beginning of the quote:
does not make sense to beef it up anymore 'just to do it'

maybe you should read the whole sentence before talking crap about logic. just wanted to point out your low level of reading comprehension.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 23, 2008 5:56:40 PM

Why are you furious...

Really... Your upset you don't like computers as much as other people?

Big woop... We like to overclock... for BETTER performance... not worse... Also why would an overclocker care about temperature and power saving feature of a STOCK chip... thats just it... ITS STOCK. So it doesn't matter to us, its all about pushing it as far as we can.

Its also the fact that we can turn a 200$ quad core... at 2.4 ghz... and turn it into the performance of a 1000$ quad core at 3 ghz... so then you can say... i spent a fifth of what you did... and yet I have the same if not more performance than you... its about being smart with your money and performance, its a balance of performance and money... for you its more about money than performance, thereby classifying you as "non-hardcore"
November 23, 2008 6:00:14 PM

My E2140 is running solid with stock cooler almost a year. I vote cheap processor clock the hell out of till the new technology arrive .
November 23, 2008 6:19:43 PM

If you SLI-CF .... OC is NEEDED ....
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 6:33:46 PM

cyber_jockey said:
My E2140 is running solid with stock cooler almost a year. I vote cheap processor clock the hell out of till the new technology arrive .

after reading the recent article on the slow (2.2?) gighz processor to (3-4?) gighz i concluded that it might not be wise to do this if you are looking at performance per watt usage ratio. but then again, if you dont got the money then oh well but it seems like in the long run you will be paying more in electric bills than you would just buying a better processor without having to worry about messing it up with oc. just my 2 cents.
November 23, 2008 6:42:00 PM

Thanx for sharing your view but I don't know any overclocking gamer worrying about their electrical bills thats why some of us even have colourful power consuming lights in our towers.
November 23, 2008 6:48:04 PM

Those cpus also come with a higher TDP. Even IF the cpus of differing clocks have the same TDP, almost always, the higher clocked cpu will use more power. Maybe not as much as a lessor binned one at the same speeds, but THAT difference is minimal
November 23, 2008 6:51:12 PM

LOLL +1 Cyber ! im not even concern about my Electricity bill ... OC is a benchmark or gaming performance thing ! or just for the trill to run Ur cpu 4ghz plus !
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 224 K Overclocking
November 28, 2008 4:33:57 PM

werxen said:
i see a lot of overclocking on this website and im curious why people do it? ive overclocked my E8500 to 4.2 Gighz stable but then i realized wow this is wayy too much juice. i can run most applications/games fine on 1.9 gighz downclocked. so im curious why people oc. is it for fun or to get that extra second speed time?

I guess is the same reason you'd install a Nitrous system on your car, knowing its going to shorten the life of your engine.

To get more speed from a lower investment is some reasoning, and even if its a higher investment getting all you can from it.

Overclocking can become an addiction and I'd say you're pretty much addicted if you purchase expensive brand new components with the express intention of overclocking out of the box.

Of which I'm guilty, on that count.

Also knowing the proper cooling solution is an additional necessary part of the total investment!

The cooler you keep it the longer it will last!

Most car engine break in recommendations are limited speeds to a certain amount of miles are accrued, then run faster speeds, however some believe to break in the car as you intend to drive it.

What has that to do with why people overclock?

We live in an age where the information or knowledge is readily available to anyone either online or through computer magazines or books, to study how to overclock anything they're interested in getting all they can out of.

We also live in an age that even if you purchase the most top dog components, its very short lived, and they're quick to be dethroned.

Its a hard pill to swallow when your major investment is dethroned, especially to a cheaper product, so you overclock to get back what performance you can.

However theres also the overclock generation of today that don't take the time to study and understand what they're doing, and are in trouble asking for help everyday from the beginning.

I'd say that type of person just wants something for nothing, maybe daddy bought the computer and the person has no financial responsibility?

"Whats wrong with the computer son?" , "I don't know dad it was working yesterday." [Lying little sucker!]

Overclockers are a minority in the total computing world, and they seem like a majority here at THGF, because the forum members make it sound major, when in all actuality it isn't.

Of all my friends and family, I'm the only overclocker, most all of my friends and family don't even know what the word overclock means, if you mention overclock to them, they want to know if you mean the snooze feature on their alarm clocks.

Thus back to, the information to overclock is widely available, so at least people that frequent these type websites, come into the introduction and eventual knowledge of overclocking, and they normally realize they can and do.

My direct reasons for overclocking, are I'm getting more performance than I paid for, I am fully aware that the extra performance will shorten the life of my hardware, but not before I'll upgrade again anyway.

The extra performance shows drastically in gaming performance of which I am probably most addicted to, I love my gaming, its 80% of my computer use!

So for what its worth, thats my reasoning. Ryan
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2008 11:17:58 AM

encoding/transcoding, games, photoshop(and the like), boot times, folding (yeah some overclock to save the world!!) bragging rights, makes my pee-pee bigger.
a c 126 à CPUs
November 29, 2008 11:51:59 AM

Until the day that every game uses a really well designed multicore enabled engine (Much like VALVes L4D does) will be the day that GHz is completely diminished.

I did it because it was free. Same voltage (actually a bit less than stock stable) and 3GHz. Thats good for me. But as it stands since most games depend more on the frequency than the # of cores thats what matter.

Tak a game like Crysis and run it on your CPU @ 1.9GHz. Then run it at 4.2GHz. Withe the settings maxed. You will see the difference.

Same with VALVes games, actually more since it is more CPU dependant (Source that is) than pretty much any other game out there.
November 29, 2008 4:27:11 PM

Hmm.... My E8600 stock @ 3.3 Ghz or @ 4.3 Ghz? You tell me, is the 5-10 FPS increase in Crysis worth the extra $3 on my electric bill? Is the 20 minutes saved in converting HD videos worth that $3? I guess not to you...
December 2, 2008 11:27:01 AM

Asking why we oc is like asking why people upgrade or buy new computers,
to make things go faster, which is a pretty obvious answer.

I want more performance from my current cpu so i can play games without lag and make applications run faster, so instead of buying a new one, i oc it instead, see ?

And tweaking/fiddling with computers is fun to me and most people on this site.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2008 1:59:09 PM

Quote:
Pretty much all the reasons you would use a computer for. Hmmm...

That is the idea behind this thread there bud
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2008 4:19:20 PM

no actually the subject was why we overclock. The point to my original post was to illustrate that everything runs better/faster when a computer is running faster. My response actually answered the ops question, you decided to critique others and become confrontational instead of "actually" adding something to the thread.
December 2, 2008 4:46:20 PM

roofus said:
why not test the limits of your investment?

Don't chip makers do that already?

Overclocking makes the hardware run hotter which requires cooling solutions that
increase the price of the PC.

Overclocking also shortens the life of the hardware.

The majority of people are not interested in wasting their money like that.
December 2, 2008 4:46:41 PM

werxen said:
after reading the recent article on the slow (2.2?) gighz processor to (3-4?) gighz i concluded that it might not be wise to do this if you are looking at performance per watt usage ratio. but then again, if you dont got the money then oh well but it seems like in the long run you will be paying more in electric bills than you would just buying a better processor without having to worry about messing it up with oc. just my 2 cents.

LMFAO....

Are you seriously trying to say its not worth.... like 30 cents a year to overclock a processor from 2 to 3-4 ghz?

Do you even have a clue about how very little more power it uses?

Just stop man. Dont OC if you dont like it.
December 2, 2008 4:47:16 PM

Well he got his answer. Now he knows why we OC. If you wanted to convince us not to OC that's another story and maybe another thread but i doubt you will succeed.
December 2, 2008 5:37:01 PM

enigma067 said:
Don't chip makers do that already?

Overclocking makes the hardware run hotter which requires cooling solutions that
increase the price of the PC.

Overclocking also shortens the life of the hardware.

The majority of people are not interested in wasting their money like that.

Broad generalizations FTW.
lmfao

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. You see it one way, others see it another way.

You think its a "waste of money" to OC hardware and shorten its life. I see it as a waste of money NOT to overclock. If I pay money for something, I want it to work to its maximum potiential. Also, it has not been my experience (if you know what you're doing) that overclocking shortens the life of a component. If a chip is properly cooled, and you dont have an obsene amount of voltage going to it, there is very little risk that you'll burn it out prematurely. Most chips that die out while overclocked are chips that had defects anyway, that would have most likely died w/out any OCing.

Many chips out there can be OC'ed w/out even a voltage increase, OR aftermarket cooling. There is very little risk (again if you know what you're doing) in OCing a chip like that (the q6600 comes to mind).

Also, I wouldn't say the majority of poeple consider OCing as a money issue, its an ignorance issue. They dont know how to OC, or they have tried in the past with poor quality parts (bad quality mobos/psu's) and got furstrated or wound up breaking something.

In fact I would say that MOST people, if asked if they wanted more out of something they paid good money for, for free, I think they would gladly accept it.

Again. I know you see it one way, but a lot of people see it another way. We'll have to agree to disagree on it.

We'll be happy getting more for our money.
You can be happy getting what you pay for.
It's really that simple.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2008 7:28:02 PM

Sarcasm is just about immpossible get online... I knew exactly what I was typing. It was a quick response with a little dry humor at the end. The post was designed to be quick and to the point, not for after thought or scrutiny. I'm glad you found something wrong with my words. Congrads, you made it passedthe 4th grade,lol
!