unxepected shutdowns, GPU related?

Kari

Splendid
run memtest86+ and prime95 to test for memory and CPU stability.
Get RealTemp for temperature monitoring..

And read the Core2Duo/quad Overclocking quide at the OC section, there's a lot of info on stability testing, including those 2 programs and many more...

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
What brand power supply? You listed it in the original post as 700 watt which should be sufficent but didn't say which brand it was. If its a low budget psu that could be the problem right there.

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I cant remember what brand the first power supply was, but the one in it now is EZcool.

5V - 40A
12v1 - 20A
12v2 - 20A

So Far Prime95 has been running for a few hours with no errors, ill leave it overnight. then start memtest.

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Hi, prime95 ran for 14 hours 53 mins, without errors.
It seems most people think the psu is at fault, is there anything that you can reccomend that would be good for my system?

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I also thought it could be the card overheating, but I ran the game in windowed mode with expertool running alongside showing the temp of the card, once before it switched off it was 102C and another it was around 70C but neither were in the red on the graph. I also manually set the fans to 100% and 3Dmark ran for slightly longer but it still shut down.

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I have underclocked the card and switched the fans to full, and it seems to be running fine. But the card will be pulling less power now, so could it still be the psu?

From what i read... If your system wouldn't start, it has to be a MoBo or PSU problem (dead for a few seconds). If it "beeped" but didn't started, then it's a component problem (CPU, Video/Graphics Card, PCI/PCIe extra Card or RAM). Defective HDDs, CD/DVD ROMs, Mice (with a few exceptions XD), Monitors and Keyboards don't make your system a dead machine for a few seconds (just for the record XD).

If you underwent on a PSU change, it might have affected other components (that'd be very bad luck though) causing these annoying shut downs.

Also, try pluggin your computer to another wall socket or exchanging the power cable. It could even be that they are defective, lol.

Esop!

dean8020

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Replaced the Gainward card with a Gigabyte one, the problem was still there, so plugged in a 880W Hiper PSU instead, this solved it, and so far its working fine. Thanks for all your help.