New mobo but which one?

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I'm considering on buying a new motherboard eventually because my OEM wont let me overclock i have a E4700 2.6GHZ and well i want something that will let me over clock my CPU to atleaste 3.2GHZ perhaps higher, something with Tri-SLI capabalities perhaps so that way i can just add another two 8800GTX in a year or so instead of buying a whole new GPU, i want a decent max mem capability too something above 8gb so at least its future proof and i'm not too sure how the whole socket system works but hopefully something that supports my dual-core now and maybe let me upgrade to a quadcore or even an i7 in the future if thats possible well i dont want to pay too much but hopefully by adding a new extra notes let my motherboard carry me through a few years... umm and i plan on upgrading my case at the same time so size shouldnt be an issue, so i turn to the wisdom of the forum what mobo is out there for me?? thanks...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Ok...you can't support your current chip and i7 - they use different sockets (LGA 775 vs 1366), so that's a no go.

If you're looking for tri-sli, then you have to go 780i or 790i (only DDR3).

If tri-sli is a deal breaker, I would say go for a 780i - possibly EVGA, but that's around $200 still.

Remember that nvidia chipsets are not as easy to OC as something from intel (P45, X48, etc).

If it were me, I would probably just go P45 and when you need another upgrade, get a new GPU.

I don't know why you would need more than 8GB of RAM - you hardly need more than 4GB now, unless you do some really specific work.

Don't try to future proof - it's not really possible. Just do your best to leave some options open and get a good use out of your purchase.