Core i7 dual cores. Yes? No? What for?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Question is in the thread title. Will i7 close that "clock for clock" gap between duals and quads that Core 2 has? The whole "duals are faster for gaming" thing.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Look at the roadmap, there are no Core i7 duals.....anywhere? Unless im reading the roadmap wrong, or just the wrong one period, their are no plans for i7 duals until late 2009 in the notebook market. All im seeing is Core 2 based duals for Performance and Mainstream segments into late 2009+.

Phasing out high end dual-cores for desktops maybe?

Yep, sorta like nVidia, sitting on 3 top cpus, like nVidias 2 gpus. Some people hate it when I say this, but it is close to the same story. Whats truly amazing to me is, i7's kill in server, yet those dont come til later as well. Anyways, Im thinking they think their old stuff can tow the line, just like nVidia did, and maybe so, but we all saw what the 4xxx series did to nVidia. Im NOT saying itll happen again, but I think its a sign of complacency

Think about it. nVidia went 18-19 months before they released G200. Intel went28 months before they released i7. In both cases, they were aimed at something other than mainstream, primarily that is. Both are fine performers in DT, but not eyecatchers. Both do something they werent good at before a LOT better. Both come in priced a lil heavy, tho nVidias were a crime.

Now, on to the duals. If the i7 duals have HT, and can simulate 4 cores, theres not many apps out there thatll do over 4 cores, and thats just the ones that do anyways. The longer they delay this, the more apt therell be more MT apps available with higher threading , and Windows 7 comes in about then as well, right in time for the hype machine to roll

A dual will be promoted as the worse you can do, period by then. Windows 7 brings with it really nice MT handling. DX11 brings with it, really nice MT handling, even for shader ops, to a degree. Everything , and I mean everything, will be aimed at MT by then, its just having the public, the consumers sold on it

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

If this is true, then its even more indication that Dual-cores are being taken out of the performance/enthusiast(extreme) category, and also leans towards notebooks/HTPCs. Looks like the E8000's are the swan song for high end desktop duals.

Yea, both AMD and Intel have been readying their SoC's, and from everything Ive heard, its aimed at the cheap easy way to browse, light gaming (if Intel actually can make a IGP thatll hold up with newer games) etc. Notebooks r us.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

There is no 'clock for clock' gap between duals and quads. The reason people say duals are better for gaming *right now* is that 1.) there really aren't games that take advantage of more than 2 cores (with 1 or 2 exceptions), and 2.) duals can usually be overclocked higher and easier than their quad core counterparts.

'clock for clock' quads perform exactly the same as a dual of the same generation at the same clock speed.