JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Anyone else using Nature to keep your rig cool? It is about 0c outside today, and my computer is about 4 feet from a cracked open window, giving a nice cool breeze running over the intakes. I know its not ideal, and not recommended past a point because of possible condensation issues, but none the less, I like. Will just have to do for now!~

Ilovewinter.jpg

My 4870 is idling at 38c as well, heh. Should have put that in the SS, but oh well.

same here, the temp last night was 40F and my CPU hit 33c at load (3.9Ghz)...

the only drawback is that I froze my arse by leaving the window open.....

GPU idles at 35c if room temp is around 65F.... will take a SS once I get home =)

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Yes I have toyed with the idea of venting cool air from under my trailer into my pc. My biggest concern is condensation though. I am still liking my air purifier idea actually.

Paul

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

My GPU normally idles at about 50c in normal room temps, so seeing my GPU at 38c (and didn't break 70c doing a 3dmark run) is pretty awesome. It isn't reference cooling, but the partially open heatpipe design Sapphire offers.

Long Johns and a Toque were standard issue this morning, hah.

I am using a couple books on their ends to create a sort of trough for the air to flow through towards my PC. Condensation is also a concern, thats why I gave it a few feet and allow the breeze to warm up a bit before it hits the intakes. I also let my PC run for awhile before I opened the window, and let it run for a long time after, to warm it back up before shutting off the airflow.

It all depends on the humidity, if you live in a dry area like me (TEXAS) condensation is not an issue. I have monitored the insides of my case when my room is around 20c and there is no condensation whatsoever. Of course there are days more humid than others but nothing to worry about... Back in college when I was living in Miami it was a bit different, much more humid atmsophere...

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009

HAHA....

Ive benched when it was raining outside. Bad idea.

There were actual puddles sitting on the mobo. I almost busted a classified doing that.

My computers are in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia right on the coast. Fortunately, my house is air-conditioned.

It's so humid in the spring and fall that at 5 AM and 90 F (30 C), I have driven to work in pea soup fog.

Warm air holds more humidity (moisture) than cold air ... condensation results when moist warm air hits a cold surface....one of the reasons why throwing a mobile phone that's just "taken a swim" into the fridge can sometimes bring it back to life.

Here is a SS :

3685Ghz.jpg

Ambient @ 65F

too cold to leave the window open :( ..