I just realized:

There are three brands of PSUs at Newegg that are good top to bottom. Not a bad apple in the bunch. All backed by reviews at quality sites that gave them very high or the highest marks.

The 3 companies:

Hiper
Corsair
PC Power and Cooling

Anyone know of any other brands that they can say for sure are that good? I know of other like Zippy of course, but just from the Egg for simplicity.

I don't think Antec is quite that good across the boards.. the Basiq series may have some duds or at least mediocre scores.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I have never had a problem with OCZ - especially the Gamer and Elite Xtreme.

I don't know much about Hiper, but know Corsair and PCP&C are quality.

I like antec. Their customer service is excellent. Got through on the phone quickly. Ordered parts twice by email, and they didn't even charge me for shipping. 0 zilch zada for my old super lanboy case.

I was talking about current models at the Egg. M and R models are all they sell. I see that there was a type M 580W that was not reviewed so well, but it's not on the Egg.

Check out just one of the Hiper reviews:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=91
I don't think you'll find a professional review of any Hiper M or R that isn't really good, except for the 580W.

huron: I never realized it, but you are right. OCZ is looking solid, at least by what I have dug up so far. I think I had read that they bought out PC P&C, but it had slipped my mind.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Seasonic Branded PSUs are some of the Best.
They are also the OEM for most or all PCP&C (At least thru the 750w Models)

Corsairs are made by Seasonic and CWT. (The HX are Seasonic and slightly lower end VX are CWT. Seasonic still makes the 450vx I believe as an exception to the rule.)

Antec EarthWatts had a good rep and were made by Seasonic but on a slightly lower quality build base. (Still Good) However, Antec is moving toe "Delta" as the OEM manufacturer. I have no idea what will happen to quality. I'm going to be slightly concerned until good reviews are done on Deltas.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The Hiper - M & R series are Channel Well built, which have a good reputation, ignoring the Antec Pure power capacitor debacle and the loose screws that seem to plague them all regardless on the brand, but they don't have the well earned Seasonic reputation.

In the HardOCP review these things got hot enough to fry an egg (not the egg but an egg :lol: ). OklahomaWolf had the same heat problems to a lesser degree, no pun intended.

The high end Cooler Master PSUs also get good reviews but their lower end are still junk, so you can't use a broad brush to paint Hyper as a top quality manufacturer, uh OEMer, because that will confuse the noob that wants a lower end PSU. I haven't seen any reviews on the Hiper Type S, maybe these are the ones that are blowing up.

4745454b

Titan
If you are looking for three companies that are good no matter what, they would be PCP&C, SeaSonic, and Corsair. If I'm helping someone with their computer and ask about their PSU and they list one of these, I'll start thinking in a different direction.

Antec does "make" good PSUs, the old EW and Basic PSUs are fine. Their problem line is the Smart power and to a slightly lessor extent, the TruPower line. They both contain caps that are known to die if exposed to high temps.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
PCP&C is okay. I think it has a little ripple more than other but for the price theyre great

On newegg good PSUs are Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake Toughpower above 750 are good, Xigmatek should also be good (as its the same CWTs as Thermaltake and the HX1000) but there are very few reviews. And the Antec Signature are the best in terms of quality and specs etc....not so much $$$$

My friend also has the Quattro 850 (not the 1000 because its overrated as a 1000) and its also pretty good

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Zenmaster, I just saw the link you posted so maybe it's the lower end Ms that are blowing up. The fully grilled PSU case has to go.

Andyson does make some good PSUs, but I'll stick to Seasonic if I have a choice.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Yea Andyson is good....they are the OEM for Ultra X3 which has a pretty good 1000 watt. Pretty good, but the egg (lol) doesnt stock them

Edit: The problem is that u cant just do a broad stroke for many manufacturers. Some will have good high end ones but their low ends are crap (Antec, Thermaltake, etc.)

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

If we're talking about manufacturers that make _only_ high quality PSUs I would take Hiper off that list and add Seasonic, maybe Tagan and a couple others too. Antec, Hiper, Thermaltake, OCZ, FSP, Enermax and the like all make great PSUs but you will find a few stinkers in their lineup, past or present.

The Tiered PSU Listing is a great place to find out which brands can be counted on 100% of the time and which ones should be looked at with a bit more scrutiny.

Excellent thread.
I would have thought that Enermax was mostly decent too, but recently read a couple of reviews that have cast some doubt. Sorry no link, but I'm at work and some of those sites are blocked. It wasn't enough to make me decide to replace the 500W Liberty I have now, but apparently it may have problems if over-stressed. I may build a secondary rig before too long, and may pass the Liberty down to it and get a Corsair HX for my primary.
I too am awaiting reviews on the Delta-made Antecs. I don't think I've ever read a negative professional review of any of the Antecs, but I've seen some negative Newegg reviews that may not have been written by drones. I've installed a few of the Earthwatts (430 & 500) and they continue to run well.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
That list is WAY too broad i think IMHO

To rly kno what PSU is good....u go to Hard OCP or jonnyguru.com and read reviews. Their tested methods are spot on to pull out the good ones

@jtt: Enermax has had some failure issues lately after like 2 years
And those Antec Signatures (i think those are the deltas) ARE AMAZING best ever psus created. They have almost no ripple, great regulation, great efficiency but they are pricy $$$$

Edit***: @poster below: The Zeus series are good. Some of the others are overhyped

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Seasonic is definitely a quality brand. Also, OCZ bought out PC Power and Cooling a bit back and the new eliteXstream is suppose to be one of the first ps based off the merger. I have the 800w one and love it and well priced to boot. Though I got mine because I received a doa 600w gamerXstream one. Free upgrade though :)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know alot about Hiper.
I don't have a strong feeling either way.

I suspect they have Good High End (Based on the JGuru Review) and questionable lower end.
w/o Reading higher up, somebody noted the CWT made some of their PSUs and they make good stuff.

The 580 review I posed was apparently made by Allied something or the other.
I recall that name as being one that is not reknowned for being especially high quality.

So in short, I would not color Hiper as good or bad across the board.
Just make sure you check the Model because some are built by good folks like CTW and others by low cost builders where low cost is the main goal.