Sign in with
Your question

PSUs at the Egg

Last response: in Systems
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 1:25:58 PM

I just realized:

There are three brands of PSUs at Newegg that are good top to bottom. Not a bad apple in the bunch. All backed by reviews at quality sites that gave them very high or the highest marks.

The 3 companies:

Hiper
Corsair
PC Power and Cooling

Anyone know of any other brands that they can say for sure are that good? I know of other like Zippy of course, but just from the Egg for simplicity.

I don't think Antec is quite that good across the boards.. the Basiq series may have some duds or at least mediocre scores.

More about : psus egg

September 3, 2008 1:46:07 PM

I have never had a problem with OCZ - especially the Gamer and Elite Xtreme.

I don't know much about Hiper, but know Corsair and PCP&C are quality.
September 3, 2008 1:49:18 PM

I would take Hiper off that list. I know of a few people including mine who's hiper blew up on them.
Related resources
September 3, 2008 2:07:10 PM

Hiper PSU's are POSes. Go with Antec, OCZ, or Zalman instead
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 2:15:49 PM

I like antec. Their customer service is excellent. Got through on the phone quickly. Ordered parts twice by email, and they didn't even charge me for shipping. 0 zilch zada for my old super lanboy case.
September 3, 2008 2:32:21 PM

Antec is the best. Emerex is good too
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 2:38:47 PM

I was talking about current models at the Egg. M and R models are all they sell. I see that there was a type M 580W that was not reviewed so well, but it's not on the Egg.

Check out just one of the Hiper reviews:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
I don't think you'll find a professional review of any Hiper M or R that isn't really good, except for the 580W.

huron: I never realized it, but you are right. OCZ is looking solid, at least by what I have dug up so far. I think I had read that they bought out PC P&C, but it had slipped my mind.
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 2:47:41 PM

Seasonic is usually good. PC P&C and Corsair too. In fact Seasonic designed a few of PC P&C's and Corsair's best models.

September 3, 2008 3:00:13 PM

Seasonic Branded PSUs are some of the Best.
They are also the OEM for most or all PCP&C (At least thru the 750w Models)

Corsairs are made by Seasonic and CWT. (The HX are Seasonic and slightly lower end VX are CWT. Seasonic still makes the 450vx I believe as an exception to the rule.)

Antec EarthWatts had a good rep and were made by Seasonic but on a slightly lower quality build base. (Still Good) However, Antec is moving toe "Delta" as the OEM manufacturer. I have no idea what will happen to quality. I'm going to be slightly concerned until good reviews are done on Deltas.

a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 3:13:47 PM

yeah I made a note earlier on that, but I guess we can't really trust Hiper yet. I note that newegg is not selling any 580W now.
September 3, 2008 3:34:23 PM

The Hiper - M & R series are Channel Well built, which have a good reputation, ignoring the Antec Pure power capacitor debacle and the loose screws that seem to plague them all regardless on the brand, but they don't have the well earned Seasonic reputation.

In the HardOCP review these things got hot enough to fry an egg (not the egg but an egg :lol:  ). OklahomaWolf had the same heat problems to a lesser degree, no pun intended.

The high end Cooler Master PSUs also get good reviews but their lower end are still junk, so you can't use a broad brush to paint Hyper as a top quality manufacturer, uh OEMer, because that will confuse the noob that wants a lower end PSU. I haven't seen any reviews on the Hiper Type S, maybe these are the ones that are blowing up.

a c 83 ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 3:36:13 PM

If you are looking for three companies that are good no matter what, they would be PCP&C, SeaSonic, and Corsair. If I'm helping someone with their computer and ask about their PSU and they list one of these, I'll start thinking in a different direction.

Antec does "make" good PSUs, the old EW and Basic PSUs are fine. Their problem line is the Smart power and to a slightly lessor extent, the TruPower line. They both contain caps that are known to die if exposed to high temps.
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 3:42:57 PM

Yeah that was my impression on Antec. Great discussion! Need some more of this around here.
September 3, 2008 3:43:07 PM

PCP&C is okay. I think it has a little ripple more than other but for the price theyre great

On newegg good PSUs are Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake Toughpower above 750 are good, Xigmatek should also be good (as its the same CWTs as Thermaltake and the HX1000) but there are very few reviews. And the Antec Signature are the best in terms of quality and specs etc....not so much $$$$

My friend also has the Quattro 850 (not the 1000 because its overrated as a 1000) and its also pretty good
September 3, 2008 3:46:35 PM

Zenmaster, I just saw the link you posted so maybe it's the lower end Ms that are blowing up. The fully grilled PSU case has to go.

Andyson does make some good PSUs, but I'll stick to Seasonic if I have a choice.
September 3, 2008 3:48:38 PM

Yea Andyson is good....they are the OEM for Ultra X3 which has a pretty good 1000 watt. Pretty good, but the egg (lol) doesnt stock them

Edit: The problem is that u cant just do a broad stroke for many manufacturers. Some will have good high end ones but their low ends are crap (Antec, Thermaltake, etc.)
September 3, 2008 4:03:44 PM

Proximon said:
The 3 companies:

Hiper
Corsair
PC Power and Cooling

If we're talking about manufacturers that make _only_ high quality PSUs I would take Hiper off that list and add Seasonic, maybe Tagan and a couple others too. Antec, Hiper, Thermaltake, OCZ, FSP, Enermax and the like all make great PSUs but you will find a few stinkers in their lineup, past or present.

The Tiered PSU Listing is a great place to find out which brands can be counted on 100% of the time and which ones should be looked at with a bit more scrutiny.
a c 121 ) Power supply
September 3, 2008 4:07:02 PM

Excellent thread.
I would have thought that Enermax was mostly decent too, but recently read a couple of reviews that have cast some doubt. Sorry no link, but I'm at work and some of those sites are blocked. It wasn't enough to make me decide to replace the 500W Liberty I have now, but apparently it may have problems if over-stressed. I may build a secondary rig before too long, and may pass the Liberty down to it and get a Corsair HX for my primary.
I too am awaiting reviews on the Delta-made Antecs. I don't think I've ever read a negative professional review of any of the Antecs, but I've seen some negative Newegg reviews that may not have been written by drones. I've installed a few of the Earthwatts (430 & 500) and they continue to run well.
September 3, 2008 4:07:42 PM

That list is WAY too broad i think IMHO

To rly kno what PSU is good....u go to Hard OCP or jonnyguru.com and read reviews. Their tested methods are spot on to pull out the good ones

@jtt: Enermax has had some failure issues lately after like 2 years
And those Antec Signatures (i think those are the deltas) ARE AMAZING best ever psus created. They have almost no ripple, great regulation, great efficiency but they are pricy $$$$

Edit***: @poster below: The Zeus series are good. Some of the others are overhyped
September 3, 2008 4:08:24 PM

Silverstone also makes decent PSU's. I know that Falcon Northwest used them, don't know if they still do or not.
September 3, 2008 4:12:56 PM

Seasonic is definitely a quality brand. Also, OCZ bought out PC Power and Cooling a bit back and the new eliteXstream is suppose to be one of the first ps based off the merger. I have the 800w one and love it and well priced to boot. Though I got mine because I received a doa 600w gamerXstream one. Free upgrade though :) 
September 3, 2008 5:02:12 PM

Zorg said:
Zenmaster, I just saw the link you posted so maybe it's the lower end Ms that are blowing up. The fully grilled PSU case has to go.

Andyson does make some good PSUs, but I'll stick to Seasonic if I have a choice.

I don't know alot about Hiper.
I don't have a strong feeling either way.

I suspect they have Good High End (Based on the JGuru Review) and questionable lower end.
w/o Reading higher up, somebody noted the CWT made some of their PSUs and they make good stuff.

The 580 review I posed was apparently made by Allied something or the other.
I recall that name as being one that is not reknowned for being especially high quality.

So in short, I would not color Hiper as good or bad across the board.
Just make sure you check the Model because some are built by good folks like CTW and others by low cost builders where low cost is the main goal.
September 3, 2008 5:03:06 PM

bdcrlsn said:
Silverstone also makes decent PSU's. I know that Falcon Northwest used them, don't know if they still do or not.

Another EXCELLENT brand.
September 3, 2008 5:06:18 PM

I highly recommend an APC UPS to accompany the PSU. Stable clean power will add to the PSU's ability to power the system effectively. :sol: 
September 3, 2008 6:17:44 PM

zenmaster said:
Another EXCELLENT brand.

Uve read jguru reviews....the Silverstones arent that amazing
Imo there are better choices for the price
September 3, 2008 6:29:48 PM

Silverion77 said:
Uve read jguru reviews....the Silverstones arent that amazing
Imo there are better choices for the price

Yes, I've read lots of reviews JGuru and others and they are very good PSUs.
I did not say anything about Price, but there is no concern about quality.

Corsair Normally wins the Price/Performance battle, but that is not to say a Silverstone could not
go on sale at any time and be sweet deal. Unlike a low quality PSU that regardless of the price would not go in may system.

I must admit being partial to Seasonic PSUs for price/quality ratios.
My last three PSUs have been a Seasonic, Corsair OEM Seasonic, and Antec OEM Seasonic.
September 3, 2008 6:33:17 PM

They have fine quality, but performance is topped by other good ones like Corsair etc. (like we named)

I mean yes, they wont BLOW UP on u, but i feel that in performance they are lacking compared to other good brands

Edit: OMG I HATE THAT LIST!!!!!!!! (below)
September 3, 2008 7:32:29 PM

zenmaster said:
The 580 review I posed was apparently made by Allied something or the other.
I recall that name as being one that is not reknowned for being especially high quality.
As I said earlier they are made by Andyson. Here is a reference.
Quote:
Removing the PCB and taking a peek underneath, we can tell exactly which Andyson design this unit is based on.
From what I understand, Andyson a has been making quality server PSUs for a long time and have a decent reputation, but I assume they make the PSU to the specs provided. I'm guessing that some OEMs have higher minimums, as to what they will build in order to keep their reputation, but money does strange things. I haven't seen Seasonic sell the farm yet. Maybe that's why Antec switched to Delta, only a good review will tell.

Somebody here with some cash to burn should buy one and send it to jonnyguru for testing. :lol: 
September 3, 2008 7:55:54 PM

I will say again, I think it's the stupid case construction that doesn't cool at all.

On any of the really cool "full" grilled cases that look really good. :pfff: 
September 3, 2008 8:36:36 PM

I swear the new signature Antecs are delta arent they?!?!?1

And those are the best PSUs yet (just expensive)
September 3, 2008 9:19:32 PM

I haven't kept up on it, but from what I understand the EA-series are the only ones at risk. I think/hope that the Neo series aren't making the change as well. Only time and reviews will tell.

Antec don't make the "best PSU's yet". The 850 is good, but, again, you can't judge a whole line by it's flagship PSUs.
September 3, 2008 10:44:33 PM

When i meant best i was saying that the Signature 850 is probably best in performance. Just that one. U cant judge a manufacture by all its PSUs cause there are going to be ones that suck. U gotta judge by certain wattage for different companies
a b ) Power supply
September 4, 2008 12:46:13 AM

The Signature series gets some incredible reviews. Now if only they were cheaper too... For example there's no way I'd pay $210 for the Antec Signature 650W with the Corsair 650W or PC Power & Cooling 610W at $90. I would consider it seriously at $90, maybe even at $110, I don't know...

September 4, 2008 1:48:55 AM

Yea agreed, thats y i got it as the combo on newegg with the Antec 900, P182, and 1200 they are taking off $80/$90 which made it look good

Especially if someone else is paying :D 
September 4, 2008 8:21:27 AM

DXRick said:
I highly recommend an APC UPS to accompany the PSU. Stable clean power will add to the PSU's ability to power the system effectively. :sol: 
People in the know overlook the need for a good UPS, because they already understand the necessity. It is sad that the base understanding of clean power to the PSU is not stressed enough. It is probably cheaper to get it from a local supplier, due to the shipping costs. A switching UPS is probably good for most. I would agree that APC is an excellent brand, depending on the money spent and proper sizing.

That is need "to recommend" a good UPS.
September 4, 2008 8:39:58 AM

Silverion77 said:
They have fine quality, but performance is topped by other good ones like Corsair etc. (like we named)

I mean yes, they wont BLOW UP on u, but i feel that in performance they are lacking compared to other good brands

Edit: OMG I HATE THAT LIST!!!!!!!! (below)
I don't know what list you refer to, but...uh... tier 5/4 do blow up.

I don't hate that list, I understand it is long in the tooth and compensate. Either use it as a tool and augment it with other research or not, it is your choice.
September 4, 2008 10:20:17 AM

Yea i guess you are right, its a good place to start. I just think that some things are wrong. Like many reviews prove that the Corsair HX VX TX etc. are all exceptional PSUs so i believe it should be Tier 1 not 2.
And as for the Galaxy, they have fairly high ripple compared to other Tier 2 1000Watt competitors

Edit: I just think it should be updated....:p 
a c 121 ) Power supply
September 4, 2008 10:20:21 AM

+1 @Zorg. It is a good place to start.
!