Do I need to "Format" my RAID 0 Boot drives?

commissarmo

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
So, I just set up a RAID 0 array with 2 120GB SSD drives on Win7... (based on some instructions starting here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/393/4)

I installed Windows without a problem (and it didn't require me to use F6 to get the RAID drivers... I was a bit concerned about this - is this Win7 standard?)

The drive is recognized as the OS drive (single, striped 240GB volume)... but I was a bit confused about terminology...

Is what I did (setting up the RAID 0) considered "formatting" the drive? Do I still need to "format" the drive, or am I now ok? More generally... what does "format" mean if you DON'T want to create more than a single partition on the drive (which I don't)?

Any help much appreciated.

Solution
When you installed Windows, it formatted the whole 240 GB partition for you, so you're fine.
Formatting is just setting the drive up to respond to a certain file system (in this case, NTFS).

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
When you installed Windows, it formatted the whole 240 GB partition for you, so you're fine.
Formatting is just setting the drive up to respond to a certain file system (in this case, NTFS).

Solution