Riiiicolaaaa

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Here's my story...
I bought a custom built gaming PC (specs in my info) off of Craislist for $400. It works great. The only issue I'm having is that my processor runs at a temperature of 45-50 degrees celcius when idle or gaming. I've tinkered with the case fans, repositioning them and such, but that's not the problem. I've reinstalled the heatsink a few times, checked to make sure it was on the cpu and motherboard correctly, even bought some MX2 thermal paste, but that only lowered the temps about 1-2 degrees. So today I switched the heatsink from a "Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler" to a "Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan". I know it's a cheaper heatsink but I thought it would redirect the heat out of the case instead of to the front of the case. No dice. Now the temps are up to 55 so I have to switch back to the Rosewill. More importantly though, what could be causing the CPU to heat up to these temperatures? I changed some fan settings in the BIOS in an attempt to set the ideal temps to 25 C but that didn't work. This processor used to run around 30C in a Dell-built tower, and I'm not doing anything different on this new computer that would merit such a dramatic change. Any ideas on how I could lower the temperature of the CPU to a safer level? Thanks

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
dude you are running a friggin quad core... of course your temps are going to be high. 45-50 gaming = FINE you are freaking out over nothing.

Riiiicolaaaa

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
like I said, I had this processor at 30C in my last computer which had siginifcantly lesser quality hardware. So even though this temperature range is certainly safe, I'd like to get some advice on how to lower it, or why these temperatures are higher. Thanks

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
so is 45-50 idle or on load? You're on Air cooling what do you expect? I'm running my Quad OC - full load at cores are at 50,50,55,55c <- and thats on water!!

randomizer

Champion

"Lesser quality" hardware may have drawn less power and dissipated less heat. Air flow, as mentioned earlier, can also contribute as ambient temperature is one of the biggest factors that determines your CPU's temp. The internal case design and cable management can affect airflow too, not just the fans. Do take the time to read the guide CompuTronix linked, it is very informative.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Your temps are fine. 50 is well within the thermal limit. When I overclocked by Q6600 and installed my HSF i started at 70 idle and 80 load. Now my issue was due to an incorrectly installed HSF, but I tinkered with fans and I went as far as to lap both the HSF (Arctic Freezer 7) and the CPU. By Temps are now about 35 idle 45 load. You're worrying too much. If you feel so inclined, upgrade to a better HSF, but really you're alright. Here is a link to my thread about my Q6600 temps from almost a year ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=249849&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I just finished my new rig; OC'ed it to 3.0 and ran Prime 95 for 6.5 hrs at temps of 59-59-55-55 with a 100% load on all 4 cores and I thought I couldn't ask for better with it being air cooled. (maybe a little)

So I think your good man. And like randomizer said. Different case, different quality of equipment, and shucks; even a different CPU could have made the difference.

I don't think your going to damage anything with those temps , so enjoy your new rig.

Hope this helps you feel better.