need help with choosing a cpu for video editing (for friend)

WTH?!?
They are selling the Q9550 for $30 less than the Q9450??
What an odd site.

Anyways, for your budget, I would recommend the Q6600 which is running about $270.
Do'nt forget to add a decent cooler like the AC F7 Pro, $32.

A Wd 640Gb hard drive for $100 will give you plenty of storage and fairly quick acess.

An ATI 4670, $95, will give you a verry cost and power effective card.
Assuming you will be running Adobe's CS4, my understanding is that ATI's 3k and 4k series cards will offer hardware acceleration to video processing.

The Seasonic SS-400ET looks like a great PSU for his rig.
Priced right at only $50.

With the above and what you already list, you are looking at $752 after MIR's.
You will probably have to stretch the budget by $30-40 for a cheap case and DVD/RW.

Well, as I can not edit my above post...

In light of your update, I would still suggest the Q6600.

The 3870 is a decent choice.
It performs about the same/just a little better than a 4670 but does require more power to run.
Either will be just fine for you but I may still suggest the 4670 as it will reduce the overall power consumption without decreasing performance.

The PSU is a bit overkill for your system.
The above Seasonic PSU is a high quality unit that will have no issues powering this system and is quite a bit cheaper.

Hd is fine.

Since gaming isn't a priority you could go with a cheaper P45 motherboard without the crossfire potential and save some money. You could also get the CPU Q6600 from www.newegg.ca and save a chunk.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
sorry i just wanted to get a bunch of opinions not that i dont value yours as i will probably go with what you said, as that seems like the logical choice as you backed up your choices with reasons. just doesnt hurt to bump the thread to get any other imput