Sign in with
Your question

Adobe CS3 Build

Last response: in Systems
September 3, 2008 9:11:23 PM

Here is a build that I put together for running Illustrator and Photoshop CS3. We also run job management software at the same time, as well as email. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance....

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard - Retail

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Budget should fall around $1500.

I'm not sure the HDD is big enough or that I'm sold on the video card. This is a work computer and will not be running any games. We may do some video editing down the road but is not a main function. I also need a decient case.

Thanks

More about : adobe cs3 build

September 4, 2008 2:29:21 AM

Antec 300 case

This OCZ 600W will do just as well for you and costs less:

Your video card choice will probably do the job fine. If you wanted to have more windows open and more programs running, RAM and OS will be the most important thing.

Related resources
September 4, 2008 3:11:12 AM

Video card isn't a big deal for CS3 or most graphical functions. Most of the painful operations (rendering etc.) are pure CPU.

Your main bottlenecks will be:
1.CPU (speed)
2 Memory (amount)
3. Hard drive (speed)
so any (more) money spent should go toward those catagories.

COmments (based on your selections):
1. Looks pretty good as far as price/performance
2. Do you have a baseline as to how much your other programs are using currently? Its a good starting point to see if 3.25-3.5 GB is enough (32-bit) otherwise you may want to consider a 64-bit system. YOu may discover that you want more... I've seen basic office work eat a GB of memory on PC's fairly easily (e-mail, word, background processes).
3. I would consider one of two things, either having two disks or getting a Raptor. If you google around you'll see various recommended setups for CS3 products that generally recommend seperating the scratch file from other files in order to help performance. I don't really recommend raptors much... but it is an option as it should improve load times on what always end up being huge files.
Have you considered 64 bit OS and more memory?
September 4, 2008 3:13:26 PM

Case looks good. I was debating on a smaller power supply. Looks good as well. Thanks.

Video card isn't a major concern like everyone said, but it's almost the same price so might as well pick it up.

I'm thinking you are right on the 64 bit and more memory aspect. I want to push for at least 8 gbs of memory. So I'll get Vista 64bit. How much of performance gain will I get with the Raptor drive?
September 5, 2008 5:22:19 AM

Yeah I'd stay away from the 8600 series considering all the hoopla with the soldering and all. As for the Hard Drive I'd definitely go with a better, bigger drive. You may think 250GB is a lot of space if your not going to play games, but if you do a lot of work in CS3 you'll find that space rather limiting quickly. This will be especially true if you do any video editing and start making those multi-hundred meg projects. Go for at least a fast 500GB. Check out Toms Hard Drive Charts to compare.
September 8, 2008 9:56:02 PM

Actually I don't really want a larger hard drive. There shouldn't be any graphic files stored on this computer, they should all be stored on the domain. If I give the user to big of a hdd he will neglect putting files on the server and our archive system will fail.

Thanks for the heads up on the 8600.
!