Can't get a stable 4.5 OC on i7 920 D0

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I can get a stable 4.2, but i'm trying to hit 4.6, but trying stable , I can't find stable settings, i'm running damn high voltage, semi-stable. I can do 32mil SuperPi, but I freeze less than one cycle into Sandra Soft Arithmetic CPU test. Using Muskin 1600 RAM, and an AsRock X58 Extreme Mobo.
Using V8 cooler.
Multiplier is 21
BCLK is 215

849143.png

I'd love any help.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Come on guys, im sure he knows the risks. If he wants to bench let him. But as others have said, this is not a good voltage to run at 24/7. Once you passs 1.55v you GREATLY increase the electron migration.

Im assuming your at the point where whatever you do it fails?

If so try bumping up the pci-e speed. Most mobo's cant do anything above 225 bclock without a bump up in pci. But what usualy hapens is that the board just wont boot. you could try it though.

But like i said before, running like this is not safe. High pci speeds will currupt the drive.

^Agreed.

Also, what's the vdroop on that board? I hear it's got a pretty high vdroop (can you confirm this OP?). Btw, what are the stock voltages on that CPU OP? Looks like a pretty nice CPU esp. considering HT seems to be ON @ 4.5Ghz on AIR! Have you tried bumping up vcore a bit more?

Yeah, seems like the V8 didn't really pan out as far as how great it was suppose to be. I mean sure it's a good cooler, but there are better, cheaper, smaller coolers. Anyway, your chip is probably at it's limit as the others have said. If you want to push it further you are going to need more aggressive cooling. Also make sure that your RAM isn't currently at some absurd setting that would affect it's stability.

We don't know that. Nothing the OP said indicates that he is aware of the risks.

My impression is that he has noticed that his vcore seems a little high and he is asking.

In which case, I say, "YAAY!" :bounce: He's got good instincts.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Well guys, my MoBo Shorted due to the voltage, and another one will arrive tomorrow, and I've had no access to a computer since then. For when I get my new MoBo though(same model) I would like some opinions on best way to get a stable 4.5. I'm going to bump it up to 4.2 at first, but obviously, i'm not going to just go from stock settings, to a 4.2 setting. I knew the risks, but I wasn't having any luck and just tossed up the voltage, and well, this is what I get. But on the plus side, I did get a job at a computer repair shop because of this.

Congrats for getting a job : )

4.5ghz on air is alittle optimistic to be honest, I can't get 4ghz with HT on without the temps going above 70C (i'm using a Lapped TRUE) and im only using 1.25000V. Your temps must be pretty high with 1.552V.

If you want 4.5ghz that much then get a very decent watercooling loop

The Xtreme is not a great OC'ing mobo. 4.2Ghz and tolerable voltage would have kept it alive. Not sure why so many users want more than 4.2Ghz on a 920. For benching purposes I can understand, but for everything else anything over 4Ghz is a waste.

To the OP, if you want anything over 4.2Ghz and you want the board to last at such clocks you need something better than the Extreme. Overshocked will tell you the same, Asrock 1366 boards just don't cut it when it comes to extreme overclocking. There is a reason why they are so cheap.

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I believe, His Blk Speed x Mulitplier, makes his QPI at X = > FSB @ X, and his DDR speed has to be 1/2 of QPI which is equal to or less then FSB. I guarantee that his memory is way over 1600.

I guarantee its not, I could run my core i7 at 4.5ghz with my 1333mhz memory running at 1330mhz, All i'd have to do is set my memory multi to x6, Not sure if the OP's mobo has that option or not.

Anyways OvrClkr has hit the nail on the head i think, that motherboard just isn't good enough for that kinda Overclock/voltage....maybe it has a weak power phase design and cant handle 1.552V

pluke the 2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009

OP "Multiplier is 21
BCLK is 215 "

ruffhouseutah

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

BIG TIME DITTOS ON THAT.

I've had two ASRock X58 Extremes die on me within a short period of time. Now on EVGA and it's MUCH better.

Your point? 21 CPU multi just means he has turbo on. His memory is still nowhere near its rated specs, Provided he has his memory multi to x6. If it was at x8 he might have a problem, but the OP didn't say so we don't know.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Ok, I never had any problems with OCing on ASRock boards, but then again, I have never pushed them above 3.8. If this one burns, what would recommend? Classified? Rampage? I'm not a random rich kid, but money is pretty much a none issue. 40 hour week job, my own PC business, and a new job at a PC repair shop, which might lead to a job at a better PC shop. I'm bringing in about 1200 every two weeks right now.

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I'm local only right now, and next year I'm going to get a nice 2 story building, already worked it out with the Realtor. It looks nice, across from a mall, next to a McDonald's.

Edit: Anyway, opinion on the mobo if this one fails?