daddy dont like intel. dad's an amd fanboy

hey guys! my old man had a bad experience with an intel setup before. and he wants to buy a new pc for himself. so i gave him an intel setup (e5200 + a g31 motherboard from ecs) he keeps on insisting thats he wants an amd setup (x2 5200 to be exact). i keep on telling him that the e5200 will wipe the floor with its amd counterpart in terms of speed and power consumption.

my selling point for the intel setup is its power consumption so i need a quick info here.

can you guys give me a table showing the power consumption of intel vs amd?

thanks in advance, i need it quick cause he'll be buying a new pc tomorrow.
22 answers Last reply
More about daddy dont intel fanboy
  1. IMHO if your Dad wants a AMD machine then just build him an AMD machine. Why bother with trying to convince him otherwise. Unless he's doing high end video editing or trying to play Crysis maxed out he will be just fine.
  2. +1 clearly he is happy with a moderate system, and at those specs there isnt much to choose at all.
    Power consumption...never really considered it a factor when building mine.
    Im sure the power draw for each chip will be on the respective manufactureres webby though.
  3. +1, I doubt he needs any more horsepower than that. What exactly is the PC for?
  4. I guess you should try to find another family ;-)
  5. Get him the Black edition and let the man be happy!!!!
  6. i just want so save on the electric bill guys. an x2 5200 and an e5200 are priced almost the same.

@ ycon

maybe i should, lol :D
  7. Intel is 65w, AMD is 89w apparantly

Source: www.google.com
  8. actually im looking for a table that shows a complete system power consumption with intel and amd side by side, not just the tdp alone.

thanks anyways.
  9. ________________________
    | |
    | |
    | Intel 65w |
    |________________________|
    | |
    | AMD 89w |
    | |
    |________________________|

Yea man.
  10. If efficiency is what you are after, try the 4850e. It has a TDP of 45W, though rarely consumes that... more like 20W standard usage. ($60)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103255

Combine with a 790GX board like: ($95)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153116

Add 2GB of somewhat quick RAM: ($17)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144

And you have a very efficient system capable of video playback and light gaming with a lot of upgradability for $172 (minus case/ps/HDD/DVD-RW).
  11. Step 1 - Build your Dad his computer the way he wants it to be

Step 2 - Tell him he is to "pay" for your time and effort by talking your Mom into making that < Lasagne, Pie, Whatever> that you love so much.

...because at the end of the day, a belly full of Mom's good food and Dad's goodwill/thanks as the reward for assembling a computer is FAR FAR greater than the difference in winning an argument/choice between an Intel and an AMD system.
  12. You have to factor in the chipset, although it does not consume that much power.. AMD does have more efficient motherboards.. And buying an AMD processor with an "e" at the end is probably in the same ball park as Intels..

maybe you should throw him a Phenom x3 so that extra core makes him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.. but then your looking at close to 89watts..

That machine is going to be pulling a maybe 30+watts of power.. but he might want that extra core .. even if he (personally) doesn't take advantage of it.
  13. wh3resmycar said:
    hey guys! my old man had a bad experience with an intel setup before. and he wants to buy a new pc for himself. so i gave him an intel setup (e5200 + a g31 motherboard from ecs) he keeps on insisting thats he wants an amd setup (x2 5200 to be exact). i keep on telling him that the e5200 will wipe the floor with its amd counterpart in terms of speed and power consumption.

my selling point for the intel setup is its power consumption so i need a quick info here.

can you guys give me a table showing the power consumption of intel vs amd?

thanks in advance, i need it quick cause he'll be buying a new pc tomorrow.

Just build your old man whatever computer he wants already!

Not for nothing, but the least you could have done was give him a better brand of mobo and a newer chipset! An ECS mobo with a G31, c'mon with that last gen junk...why not a Asus mobo with a P45 chipset?

What do you care whether it's an Intel or AMD based machine, it's his to use and enjoy!

Kids these days...sheesh!
  14. Ycon said:
    I guess you should try to find another family ;-)

That's what I was thinking.
  15. If the issue is strictly about power efficiency, then yes I believe you'll be able to squeeze the wattage down lower with an AMD build. The problem I see is that the OP is looking from a perspective of absolute performance, while the father is looking from absolute power efficiency.
  16. Intel Graphics Mobo.......
    Oh the horrors..........

If looking for a simple non-gaming system, I would go AMD.
    Their graphics are better and their chipsets use less power.

The Intel CPU is better, but for most folks it does not matter.

I would only build Intel for me because I want more than a simple system.
    But for many AMD is perfect.
  17. What about Skulltrail..... :whistle:
  18. An ECS mobo is a good way to let your Dad down again. At least pair the CPU with a reputable mobo! PC Chips and ECS are notorious for DOAs and premature failure.

The performance difference is minor at stock. Power consumption difference is minor as well, if the x2 is a Brisbane. Who's going to care about an extra pair of night lights worth of electricity, if that? At this performance bracket, total power consumption is low to begin with.
  19. +1@wr

Dont forget that your Motherboard is the foundation upon which the rest of your PC will be built. Skimping here makes least sense of anywhere in your build.
  20. Just remember that if anything happens the computer,..... it will be your fault because you are forcing him to choose something he doesn't want. And I know this because.....
  21. Oh I don't know. Personally, I can't talk bad about any one motherboard brand. They've all had some lemons. I use an ecs board; could have bought any board I desire. I saw a review of ecs awhile back at tom's. They build 3 million boards a year; their quality checks are pretty good; they build boards for other brands; and they're bios' sometimes suck. But for the money, they generally work ok. Just be sure if you get a Fry's combo special that you try it right away. Fry's occasionally sells old ecs stock that doesn't run or post with the cpu. But I've never had problem returning one within 15 days.
  22. This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it (and other Anandtech articles) show that for non-gaming moderate machines Intel isn't always best, especially in the IGP department.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3288&p=1

AMD really is quite good in the low-mid range, especially for a standard, non-OC machine.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Power Consumption Intel AMD Product