Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD Hard Drives

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2010 7:52:43 AM

As some of you might know, I'm building my first PC. So I need suggestions again. WD has given me three options; blue, green, or black. According to the WD website, green is economic, blue is for everyday use, and black is maximum performance. I plan on having 3 hard drives and I don't believe I should buy all of them from the same color category. Here are the details as to which each hard drive will be used for:
2TB: Media Drive(Considering Black or Green)
1TB: Game Drive(Considering Black or Green)
80GB: System Drive

Any suggestions? Please and thank you. :D 

More about : hard drives

a b G Storage
February 5, 2010 12:20:47 PM

Hi.

Media Drive: WD 2TB Black
Game Drive: Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB (See product here)
System Drive: 320GB WD Velociraptor.

Cheers!
m
l
a b G Storage
February 5, 2010 1:34:01 PM

Grab an SSD for the system drive if you can afford it; it will give you snappier performance and quicker boot-ups.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
February 5, 2010 4:10:24 PM

For the media drive, I'd get the green. The black is something like $100 more, and it isn't worth it for a pure storage drive IMHO. For the game drive, get the black. For the system drive, get either a velociraptor (150 or 300GB) or an SSD if you can. I have an Intel X25-M 80GB and I love it.
February 5, 2010 4:12:49 PM

SDDs too expensive. Plus I'm not looking for a quick boot-up as most of the time the PC will most likely be in stand-by mode. 320GB is a waste of space because all that will be on the system drive is the OS files for XP and 7. Plus I want to keep it all WD so that if something goes wrong that's one less company I have to deal with. For example both my MB and VC is from EVGA and the monitor, DVD and Blu-Ray drives will be from LG. So I was thinking green would be adequate performance for the media drive (though kind of hesitant to get black or save money) and black for the 1TB, but I wanted to get an outsider's opinion.

I purposely didn't mention the 4th drive, because I already have that.

Nothing against Samsung, great company, but I want to keep the HDs all WD. I was considering Seagate, but after learning that they had some problems with their HDs recently, I decided to stay with WD. Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
February 6, 2010 12:08:35 AM

Go with the Black versions - they have 5 year warranties. If you plan to use RAID, get RE-2 or RE-3 versions. Blue used to be called "SE". Green is new and saves power by rotating at variable or slower speeds than the blue or black flavors; it saves a minute amount of energy for most of us, and sustains a huge performance hit.
m
l
a c 117 G Storage
February 6, 2010 12:53:35 AM

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The WD Black 2 TB is a good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)
m
l
February 13, 2010 12:26:36 AM

Best answer selected by NathanSuite.
m
l
!