First Gaming Build Ever, Feedback Appreciated

nn010385

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hi everybody,

I've never put together a system before (although I have upgraded various components on stock computers many times), but I came up with a preliminary setup here. The quantities might be messed up due to some glitch, so please just comment on the components themselves.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6770834

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm wondering if I really need the Antec P182 case. I'm not going to lie, I picked it because I liked its design and the fact that it's large. But if there are cheaper alternatives, I'd look into them as well. If there are any other glaring mistakes with the setup, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

w153r

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Nice, I think a few people would argue the e8500 is > q6600 for gaming purposes. But as a proud owner a SLACR/G0 q6600 @ 3.6ghz I heartily recommend the q6600, that is, if you are going to overclock. You obviously did your research, I suppose everything other than the proc/videocard/ram is preference. I'm not familiar with that RAM but I have 4 x 1 sticks of cheap G. skill DDR2800 @ 1000mhz, 400 x 9, 1.3875V, on Arctic Freezer 7 (i think). My temps are pretty high, 65+ Celsius.. i've never had a proc blow up on me, I'll continue rolling the dice..

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Excellent choices, all of the pieces are high performers and value priced (for the most part) and are likely to have a long useful lifespan. Well done.

That case is not optimal, it is made of steel and plastic, with the BTX style PSU mounted on the bottom design. While you can discuss the merits of such placement, the facts are that things are made with the understanding that the PSU goes up top, where it 'belongs'.

Were that case aluminum with a slide out mobo tray and no plastic (plastic breaks, plastic vibrates) and still retained that BTX style, I'd say choose it for the adventure in building and manintaining otherwise find an even better case if your budget allows....theres nothing wrong with a PSU at the top of the case, millions of PSUs have worked years that way!

iicsus

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Great components. The P182, besides the build quality, is known for keeping rigs silent. That said, maybe you'd want to get a Scythe CPU cooler, one of the silent ones (Zipang or Shuriken).