Some questions about changing CPU air cooling HS

overclocker

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hi,
I am quite fed up with the Intel stock fan, so I am now thinking of changing my heat sink. I got a few questions below, I hope someone can help me slove them.

1. Which is the best air cooler in your mind? (Let's not care about money first)

2. If you have to choose one in these four, which one will you choose as the best one? Thermalright IFX-14, Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366, Scythe Mugen 2 or Cooler master v10?

3. Does lapping the heat sink and CPU increase the heat lost?

4. Does motherboards have weight limits? I am using Asus Rampage 2 extreme
now, will putting the motherboard vertically with a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme True copper bend it?

Many thanks

Here is a link to a very good web site with useful information about cpu heatsinks:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the embedded search engine to find information about socket specific heatsinks.

I have the original Thermalright Ultra 120. Works for me.

I lapped my heatsink and cpu just see if I could do it. My results were excellent. Actual test results that I looked at indicate mixed results. I would say it's probably not worth the time and effort if you are not a hardcore gamer into extreme overclocking and serious tweaking for a suicide mission to save the galaxy from alien invaders. Instead concentrate on case ventilation, airflow, and cooling.

Rather than weight limits, I would say it is possible to tighten mounting screws too much. The result of overtightening can be a disaster.