Constant reboot after plugging in DVD

boojeah

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hi, I recently bought a new computer and now i'm trying to clear out the old one before I give it to someone. The problem is I can't install windows because the pc restarts constantly at the post page (i think thats what its called, it says "american megatrends"). This only happens when the sata dvd drive is plugged in.
The dvd drive I'm using is from my new pc because the one on the old pc doesnt read discs. The constant reboots stop if i unplug the dvd drive and it will go on to ask for something to boot from. I tried switching the sata ports the hd and dvd were plugged into and got the same result; It restarts before i can enter setup or choose a boot option. I thought maybe the dvd drive got fried but it works dine when i plug it back into my new pc.
Any help is greatly appreciated

EDIT: The DVD drive is an Optiarc AD7240S, the motherboard i'm not sure but it's old. If the dvd has a newer sata interface and the motherboard is older, would that cause a problem?

UPDATE: Some research tells me they should be compatible, so scratch that. Someone suggested maybe it wasn't getting enough power, but with the extra HD and old dvd drive unplugged the result is the same. Any suggestions on what else I should try?
Should I try installing from a USB drive? I found a guide here on it that I havent looked through yet. It's old but it probably still works right? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html

Luc

Solution

see above

Solution

boojeah

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Yea it has 2 sata ports, so that must be it then. But I have it up and running now :D
I just put the HD in my new computer to install windows.
Thanks for the response, I'll be sure to tell the new owner to buy an IDE drive if he gets a new one