Tungsten E power button failing?

January 22, 2005 4:43:34 PM

I have had my Tungsten E for perhaps 13 months, with extended warranty,
and suspect power button problems.

I sometimes see the E power-off without reason, perhaps while I'm
reading an E-book, having paged down in the last 20-30 seconds, well
short of the current two-minute idle threshold for auto shutdown.

And I find that I have to push very hard on the power button to switch
the device On or Off, so hard that I have concerns about damaging the
button component.

Has anyone else had trouble with the power button? How will this
problem play out? Perhaps I should be cashing in on warranty . . .

I am also fretting over faster battery depletion issues.

-- GeneM
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 5:28:29 PM

If you are pressing hard on the button you may have broken it loose
from the circuit board. Others have reported having done this. when my
button started to get a little harder to activate the ON or OFF I took
the back off the TE and let a small drop of WD-40 wick into the botton
switch. This fixed the issue. Others who have broken the button loose
from the board have had to resolder them.

Greg
January 24, 2005 12:50:28 AM

"GeneM" <NoSpam@NoYahooSpam.bom> wrote in message
> I have had my Tungsten E for perhaps 13 months, with extended warranty,
> and suspect power button problems.
>
> I sometimes see the E power-off without reason, perhaps while I'm
> reading an E-book, having paged down in the last 20-30 seconds, well
> short of the current two-minute idle threshold for auto shutdown.

i have had a problem with specific reader on my T-E - the mobipocket reader.

however it only happens with certain docs - seems more likely as the e-book
gets bigger, and if the book is on an SD-card.

to confirm this i viewed some of the affected books that didnt use hypertext
style formatting in ereader - and the power off didnt happen then.

i reported it as a bug to mobipocket, but although it went back and forth a
couple of times as i explained circumstances they didnt come back with a
fix - and there has been a release and a patch since then.

Still happened tonight though....

--
Regards

January 24, 2005 8:55:11 AM

"stephen" <stephen_hope.xx@ntlxworld.com> wrote in message
> "GeneM" <NoSpam@NoYahooSpam.bom> wrote in message
>> I have had my Tungsten E for perhaps 13 months, with extended warranty,
>> and suspect power button problems.
>>
>> I sometimes see the E power-off without reason, perhaps while I'm
>> reading an E-book, having paged down in the last 20-30 seconds, well
>> short of the current two-minute idle threshold for auto shutdown.
>
> i have had a problem with specific reader on my T-E - the mobipocket
> reader.
>
> however it only happens with certain docs - seems more likely as the
> e-book
> gets bigger, and if the book is on an SD-card.
>
> to confirm this i viewed some of the affected books that didnt use
> hypertext
> style formatting in ereader - and the power off didnt happen then.
>
> i reported it as a bug to mobipocket, but although it went back and forth
> couple of times as i explained circumstances they didnt come back with a
> fix - and there has been a release and a patch since then.
>
> Still happened tonight though....
>>
>> And I find that I have to push very hard on the power button to switch
>> the device On or Off, so hard that I have concerns about damaging the
>> button component.
>>
>> Has anyone else had trouble with the power button? How will this
>> problem play out? Perhaps I should be cashing in on warranty . . .
>>
>> I am also fretting over faster battery depletion issues.
>>
>> -- GeneM
> --
> Regards
>
> Stephen Hope - return address needs fewer xxs

I've had it happen with TomeRaider. Also, it happens on Plucker with auto
scroll, every three minutes.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:03:53 PM

Necron 99 wrote:

> I've had it happen with TomeRaider. Also, it happens on Plucker with auto
> scroll, every three minutes.

Yes, I tried TomeRaider C, beta, I think, deleted it after lockups, Reset.

-- Gene
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:05:52 PM

pailface88@yahoo.com wrote:

> If you are pressing hard on the button you may have broken it loose
> from the circuit board. Others have reported having done this. when my
> button started to get a little harder to activate the ON or OFF I took
> the back off the TE and let a small drop of WD-40 wick into the botton
> switch. This fixed the issue. Others who have broken the button loose
> from the board have had to resolder them.
>
> Greg

Sounds sensible, but how do I take the back off?

Perhaps I should not do so while it's under warranty! Maybe I should go
ahead for warranty exchange, and get a free new battery in the process!

-- Gene
!