Cannot activate Windows Media Toolbar

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
minimize to "Mini-mode."

Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

--
fc42
Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I think it's because Windows Media needs to be open.

"fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>
> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> fc42
> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Let me re-phrase that, Windows Media needs to be open, but minimized.

"fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>
> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> fc42
> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Actually the toolbar box will become checked when Media Player is open. You won't see the toolbar until you minimize Media Player.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message news:uaLvEmjsFHA.3328@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Let me re-phrase that, Windows Media needs to be open, but minimized.
>
> "fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
>> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
>> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
>> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>>
>> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
>> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>>
>> --
>> fc42
>> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have my Media Player closed and the toolbar option for Windows Media
Player is still checked.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Actually the toolbar box will become checked when Media Player is open. You
won't see the toolbar until you minimize Media Player.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Let me re-phrase that, Windows Media needs to be open, but minimized.
>
> "fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
>> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
>> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
>> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>>
>> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
>> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>>
>> --
>> fc42
>> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It will be, once its checked. But for the first time, you have to have Media Player open in order to see that it gets checked off.

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message news:OoQicQlsFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I have my Media Player closed and the toolbar option for Windows Media
> Player is still checked.
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Actually the toolbar box will become checked when Media Player is open. You
> won't see the toolbar until you minimize Media Player.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Let me re-phrase that, Windows Media needs to be open, but minimized.
>>
>> "fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
>>> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
>>> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
>>> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>>>
>>> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
>>> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> fc42
>>> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

No, that doesn't help.

I have the Media Player open. I minimize it. I get the little message
telling me how to right click on the task bar, go to toolbars, and click on
WMP. I do, but it just doesn't "take." It remains unchecked and I can't
get the WMP to minimize with the little pop-up screen I used to get. I just
keep getting the little instruction window.

--
fc42
Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
Actually the toolbar box will become checked when Media Player is open. You
won't see the toolbar until you minimize Media Player.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> Let me re-phrase that, Windows Media needs to be open, but minimized.
>
> "fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
>> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
>> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
>> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>>
>> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
>> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>>
>> --
>> fc42
>> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I thank everyone for all their suggestions, but nothing helped. I also
tried a few tips I found on Microsoft pages, but still no luck.

I finally just took the direct approach and downloaded and reinstalled
WMP10. It works perfectly now.

I hate to use a sledgehammer when a screwdriver should work, but sometimes
it's the only way!

Thanks again to everyone,

--
> No, that doesn't help.
>
> I have the Media Player open. I minimize it. I get the little message
> telling me how to right click on the task bar, go to toolbars, and click
> on WMP. I do, but it just doesn't "take." It remains unchecked and I
> can't get the WMP to minimize with the little pop-up screen I used to get.
> I just keep getting the little instruction window.
>
> --
> fc42
> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Actually the toolbar box will become checked when Media Player is open.
> You won't see the toolbar until you minimize Media Player.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
> Display\Security
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Let me re-phrase that, Windows Media needs to be open, but minimized.
>>
>> "fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP Home with Windows Media Player 10. When I
>>> right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars and then Windows Media
>>> Player, I can't get a check mark to appear and the Media Player will not
>>> minimize to "Mini-mode."
>>>
>>> Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly - how I can fix it? Any
>>> advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> fc42
>>> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Glad you were able to resolve the issue..

FYI, re-registering the wmpband.dll might help as well. Click Start, Run and
type:

regsvr32 wmpband.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I thank everyone for all their suggestions, but nothing helped. I also
>tried a few tips I found on Microsoft pages, but still no luck.
>
> I finally just took the direct approach and downloaded and reinstalled
> WMP10. It works perfectly now.
>
> I hate to use a sledgehammer when a screwdriver should work, but sometimes
> it's the only way!
>
> Thanks again to everyone,
>
> --
> fc42
> Just a hitchhiker on the information super highway.
> "fc42" <notme@notreally.com> wrote in message
>> No, that doesn't help.
>>
>> I have the Media Player open. I minimize it. I get the little message
>> telling me how to right click on the task bar, go to toolbars, and click
>> on WMP. I do, but it just doesn't "take." It remains unchecked and I
>> can't get the WMP to minimize with the little pop-up screen I used to
>> get. I just keep getting the little instruction window.
>>
>> --
>> fc42

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Yes, that was one of the tips I tried. but it didn't help either.