HD 3870 Detecting Wrong Video Memory Instead of 512, now 1024

migz15

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
I bought a Palit HD 3870 512mb ddr3 256bit video card then I installed it, to my surprise the catalyst driver detects it as 1024 videoram? whats wrong with this or they just put the wrong tag,box serial on the Product. I know there is a 1gig version of this card. :pt1cable:

also some game detect tools see it as 1024 video ram.. like ubisoft detect tool.

did anything like this happened to you?

should i be worried that it is on 1024 Vram not 512 that i thought.

is there a multiplier on this card so it gives me 1024?
thanks in advance. :D

cards website: http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=707

Download and run GPU-Z.

Probably you're seeing something like Hypermemory, but if it is a larger actual VRAM amount, as long as it's similarly clocked and of similar quality, then it's a good thing. The usual issue with larger memory is usually it's lower clocked and of lower quality (usually meaning less OC headroom).

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Well, it also happens on my friend's onboard HD 3200 on the 780G. Which appears it has 784 MB of VRAM. And doesn't change no matter what video memory is set in the BIOS.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Guys, at least explain what Hypermemory means, newbies seeking help don't know those things. Be more helpful. :p

It's basically the portion of shared system ram that the video card runs as video ram once onboard vram runs out. Since system ram is painfully slow for video card, ATI use a small buffer onboard which improves performance (still slow, btw), then give it a fancy name "Hypermemory." Nothing "hyper" about it. :na:

Nvidia use basically the same thing, except calling it "TurboCache." Turbo? :na:

Gpuz should show the real amount of onboard memory, and exclude system ram. That's the right 512mb for you. :)

Edit: You shouldn't disable it, in case you run out of onboard. System ram is slow, but better than nothing. :p

The other thing is that it doesn't actually keep the memory tied up, unlike the old-school shared memory. It's acts similar to the apperture where it's available if needed, but both ATi and nV have given priority to the system if it needs the memory.

It the can be confusing, and while 1GB of combined VRAM and HM/TC is not like 1GB of dedicated on card VRAM, almost always having the option of 512MBVRAM+512MBHM/TC is better than just 512MBVRAM.

So yeah, no point in disabling it, it's self-regulating, and if you do need it, it may just help even if it's just 1-2 fps for a brief period.

migz15

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
thanks guys.. yeah its just the hypermemory thing.. Im new to ATI by the way. cause all my previous card were Nvidia.. GPU-Z shows it as 512 MB.

what catalyst Driver is Good for games on this Card(HD 3870) im using Windows XP 2 and using Catalyst 8.6 at the moment- cause in 8.9 Crysis often gets an error in. is 8.8 ok? where can i get 8.8? THanks Again.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

8.8 is fine.

migz15

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
thanks ive downloaded the 8.8 and i'll try it later.

also can anyone help me coz Assassins Creed hangs after a few mins. of playtime.. also Splinter cell Double Agent has no shadows on it with this card even I've turn everything on.. thanks..

G

Hi all...

I have Nvidia 7100 GE force 256 Mb Graphic Card, but all the game detects only 57 MB of video memory...

can anyone tell me what to do..

THanks.