Intalling windows XP pro question

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi,

I am helping a friend install XP pro on his computer after a virus got on his computer. The computer initially had XP home edition. The computer is a dell vostro.

Anyway, my question is this. I have installed XP pro and when doing so i deleted all the partitions and created just one partition. After the first "restart" on the computer ...........i get a question asking me which to log into.......XP Pro or XP home edition. Looks like something did not get removed from the hard drive when i did the install?

Can someone explain whats going on and how to get xp home off entirely?

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
i checked it and there are two entries there one for XP pro and one for XP home.

But why is the xp home there? How did the system know about XP home when i wiped HD clean?

Also, how to remove entry for XP home.......

thanks.

Just deleting the partitions doesn't wipe it all out. That's why it's a good idea to do a full format during an install.

start-->control panel-->system-->advanced-->startup and recovery settings-->edit button-->remove the unwanted entry from the file-->file-->save.

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
hi,

thats the one i used. Very strange that it would still know about xp home. But oh well. I did what you suggested with the boot.ini file. I removed the line referring to xp home and resaved the file. And i have not see this screen again asking about which operating system i wanted.

thanks.