My new build help decide

Hey guys, first time posting.

I been reading over a lot of these and i want to get all of your knowledgeable opinions of my new budget gaming build.

First off i have just ordered my case and PSU. I went with the Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Comboed with Thermaltake Toughpower W0128RU 650W. Saved like 50 bucks plus 70 in rebates. Couldnt pass it up.

I will soon be purchasing an E8400 as well.

The next list is everything i am undecided on. I will be doing some overclocking hopefully in the future alond with SLI / Crossfire.

Video Card: 9800gtx+ or the 4850, i am leaning more toward the 9800 because of heat issues on my friends 4850 and the overclocking ability i have heard about on the 9800.

MOBO: (if i go Nvidia) MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i
(if i go ATI) Asus P5Q Pro

Memory : 4 gb of knownbrand (not to concerned)

storage: HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB sata

Cd/dvd: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-08 (might change encase i want light scribe)

So basically thats it so far, i'm not to sure what to go with. Im just glad i have the case and psu outta the way lol. Thanks guys
7 answers Last reply
More about build decide
  1. The 4850's value for money cannot be ignored, go with it. The heat issues are very easy to get around, by default the fan speed is set very low (something like 30%) once turned up the card idles around 40C, like mine.
  2. my card used to idle at 79 degrees with the default fan setting, but i now have it on 40% and it idles at a much lower 55 degrees. i guess my case doesn't have such great airflow.
  3. Get a SATA, not an IDE burner.
    Here's a review/comparison of 320GB HDs, should carry over to the 500GB
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/603
    RAM DDR2 800 1.8v
    E8500
    4850 with the aftermarket fan
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770
  4. falcodakrzz said:
    The 4850's value for money cannot be ignored, go with it. The heat issues are very easy to get around, by default the fan speed is set very low (something like 30%) once turned up the card idles around 40C, like mine.



    its an extreamly loud card. How is the overclock ability on them? I know the 9800gtx+ has had good results
  5. jhunt256 said:
    its an extreamly loud card. How is the overclock ability on them? I know the 9800gtx+ has had good results

    Most of the 4850's with stock coolers would probably not OC succesfully. Heat is an issue but not a problem. So I would not want to make things worse by OCing. That said, my 4850 never breaks 82c even runing 3DMark Vantage and it idles at 70c. And depending on your cpu people are getting fairly high scores with a 4850 (3DMarkvantage > 7000). So, if you have a case with decent ventilation a 4850 would be a good value and might just give you the best score/$. There should be a Tom's article out this week comparing the choices you listed.
  6. jthorn said:
    Most of the 4850's with stock coolers would probably not OC succesfully. Heat is an issue but not a problem. So I would not want to make things worse by OCing. That said, my 4850 never breaks 82c even runing 3DMark Vantage and it idles at 70c. And depending on your cpu people are getting fairly high scores with a 4850 (3DMarkvantage > 7000). So, if you have a case with decent ventilation a 4850 would be a good value and might just give you the best score/$. There should be a Tom's article out this week comparing the choices you listed.



    Yes i just read there article comparing the 2. And i must say the 4850 is a great card and very comparable. would you rather have the asus MOBO or the MSI MOBO also. because choosing the vid card also determines which motherboard i have to go with. Any problems with either board?

    I can get a 9800gtx+ for 169.99 after rebate and a 4850 159.99 after rebate So the price is not the problem i just want the best all around card.
  7. Well the saphire card with the modified cooler

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

    is cooler in general than other 4850s. You could also go with the Sapphire Toxic card which is already overclocked. The 4850 is generally more powerful than the 9800GTX+ it seems. The 9800GTX+ is already clocked pretty high so as for overclocking it, your millage will vary.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product