Tags:
  • Configuration
  • External Drive
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 4, 2011 10:51:13 AM

hi
l dont know much about user profiles/
what l did is l save first the profile document onto an external drive and then l formatted my machine , now the problem is l have set all the settings except that when l log in that profile l am receiving a warning that my local profile is tem and everytime l make changes to that profile and when l shut down the machine everything is gone the changes .
please help me lm stuck and l need to work

More about : restore user account profile copy user profile

February 4, 2011 1:07:02 PM

I don't think that will work. you would need a copy of your entire user profile and the correct user registry hive.

It would be much better and easier to do a clean install, add all updates and drivers, the make an image of the drive. If you run into problems in the future, you can restore the image and get your OS back. Also don't forget to make separate backups of your data.
February 4, 2011 3:53:55 PM

Logon to the computer as an administrator. Create a new user account for yourself. Log on to that account. Go to your backup profile folder, copy My Documents and Favorites over to your new profile in C:\Documents and Settings\new-profile-name. Your other user account is either corrupt, or you copied over some issue from the old profile onto the new one, or possibly you messed up the directory permissions when doing the copy.
!