New MoBo Question; regular PCI or no regular PCI, that is the question

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
I'm going to be buying a core i7 pretty soon and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my sound card or not.

I have an X-fi fatality Pro that runs using a regular PCI slot. I'll be keeping my old video cards (dual evga 8800 GTS' in SLI). Which keeps my choice of motherboards kind of slim.

The reason I'm even asking the question is because I have reason to believe there might be a problem with the sound card, but I'm not positive if its the sound card, or the PCI slot on the motherboard.

The bottom line is that I don't know if I should try to use my old sound card (and buy the nessesary motherboard), or should buy a new sound card that uses PCI Express, and a motherboard that will make it work?

Sorry this might not be clear, but if you need some clarification just let me know. Thanks!

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
You're worrying to much about this.
I guess these GFX's are dual slots, so both will take up two PCIe x16 slots and two other slots, mostly PCIe x1 slots.
I looked at the ASUS P6T board as an example and if you would mount the video cards in the two upper PCIe slots, you would still have one PCIe and one PCI slot. So if your old card would still work, you can insert it. If it doesn't you can get a new card and it doesn't matter wheither it is PCI or PCIe, both will fit.
I'm not sure if a PCIe x1 card fits in a x16 slot, but if it doesn't, you can still put the second gfx in the lower pcie slot and use the x1 slot for the sound. It's kinda puzzle, but I can ensure you, whatever 1366 mobo you get and whatever soundcard you have, you'll get it working.