First time gaming build

Flicker Flare

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Im looking to build a decent PC, mainly for gaming and a little video editing. I havent built a system before but Im looking forward to the challenge.

I have the mouse, keyboard and speakers already. I dont have a monitor or OS, so Ive included them in the list. All this is being bought from ebuyer.com

Processor: Core 2 Duo e8500
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7
Motherboard: Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775
Ram: OCZ 2x2GB, DDR2 800mhz.
Graphics: BFG GTX260 OC2 Edition 896MB
HD: Seagate ST3100340AS 1TB Hard Drive OEM
PSU: Antec Neopower Blue 650W
Case: EV Black Mid Tower Gaming Case
Monitor: LG W2242S 22" TFT Monitor 1680x1050

Now Im hoping Ive not missed anything painfully obvious off the list. Im open to any suggestions.

yesiwillwin

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
if you are not interested in going sli that mobo should be fine, if you want sli you're going to need an sli board.

i prefer the ati 4870 over the gtx260. performance is just as good if not better. if you go ati and you want crossfire you can use the mobo you have chosen but you'd get better performance with an x48 board for crossfire.

i didn't see an optical drive on your list so i'll just recomend going with samsung or liteon. they both make real good cd/dvd burners.

thses are just some suggestions based on my prefrences but you do have a decent build as is.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
^+1 You'll need an sli board if you plan on using sli. Also, if you think you'll be having either 2 gtx260's in sli OR 2 4870's in crossfire, you'll need a different power supply. The antec (although it says sli and crossfire ready) only has 1x6pin pcie and 1x6+2pin pcie connectors. This means it will only be able to power one gtx260 or one 4870. Each of these cards requires 2x6pin pcie connectors, so if you plan to sli or crossfire with those cards, you'll need at least 4x6pin pcie connectors.

Other than that, it's a good build. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is an excellent cooler. I use it on my e8500 oc'd to 3.8ghz and it runs ~38c idle. Excellent choice for $25.

Your build looks good. I'd prefer a 4870 myself though but that over clocked 260 is fine. That power supply is fine if you only plan on using a single card configuration, but you think you may consider getting a second graphics card down the line, you know when the next gen comes out and these prices plummet, then you should certainly get a beefier power supply. You could go with dual 4870s on that power supply, but that would be pushing it a bit and thus likely shortening the life of that PSU.

Flicker Flare

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the input. I know I must have missed something, and it was the optical drive. No problem. Im not planning on going SLI so I should be fine with the PSU. I was going to get the 4870, but I heard there were problems with it overheating so I steered clear of it.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Don't worry about the overheating. The 4870 has a low stock fan speed, so the temps are very high. If you find the temps are higher than you like, you can always increase the fan speed and the temps will drop noticeably.