Sign in with
Your question

NAS :D

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2010 7:39:23 PM

Hi,
I was thinking of buying a nas from maybe £100-150 and i was wondering what would be the best one? I've been looking around and I've found this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-LinkStation-MultiMedia-... but I'm not sure about it. It doesn't mention it's wireless so do i need a wireless router connected to it? To be honest i don't know a lot about Nas so i thought I'd ask you guys

Any help would be great thanks :D 

More about : nas

February 6, 2010 9:08:20 PM

I'm not specifically familiar with that one. I go by Newegg reviews since that community seems to be have fairly good self control. Also you can tell if a review is written by someone who bought the device or not.

You have to be VERY careful shopping for NAS boxes. The manufacturers tend to try to do a lot with very little. The only advantage of a NAS device like that vs. just having a computer do the job, is the NAS device will draw less power from the wall. Inside those NAS boxes is a little tiny computer, and the tendency is towards very low-end CPU and RAM. Sometimes each individual NAS task works fine, but trying more than two at once crashes or bogs it down.

It seems like I usually see a better spread of reviews for the single and dual-drive NAS boxes than the four or five drive boxes. I think the smaller units have more processor left for disk access and server activities because they aren't thinking as much about processing RAID storage.

I would recommend a two-drive unit running Raid-1. Disk failures are unfortunately getting much more common as manufacturers compete for the biggest TB award. Densities are going up, tolerances are going down, and methods aren't changing. With Raid-1, if a drive starts dying you just get a nice little blinking light and your data is fine.
February 24, 2010 2:33:03 PM

Thanks for the replies, i think I'm not going to get one now as i bought a cheap 2nd hand ext hard disk.
!