Help Overclocking a Q8200 w/Skyburg Motherboard Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I've just completed testing my Phenom II build and I am pretty happy with the results (I'll be happy to post a link to the videos if anyone wants to see them) but now I am moving on to "old reliable" (again I have some videos of the machine if anyone wants to see) and trying to get the machine to overclock to over 3 Ghz. Ideally I would want to run my Q8200 at 3.2 Ghz and leave it there but I'll take what I can get.

So here's the scoop. I had the machine overclocked to 2.91 Ghz and that was with adjusting the voltages to what intel says is safe. I believe 1.365 V. I got it running stable but the graphics card I had required about 3 or 4 amps more off of the 12 V rail then I had available (The 4890's LOVE the juice!) so I had to go and plunk down some cash and bought what I thought was a reasonable replacement power supply. An Antec TruePower 550W. Seemed to fit the bill. Plenty of 12V rails and high enough to satisfy my needs. 80 Amps total over 4 rails works for me. But the damn thing just would refuse to be stable with that power supply. No matter what I did it just wasn't going to happen. At all. I want to mention the power supply I had replaced was a coolermaster extreme (new) 460 watt PSU.

I tried throttling back the speeds and was willing to setting for 2.66 Ghz, but even that wasn't happening with the Antec PSU. So I did the "reasonable" thing and threw in the old PSU and swapped the video card for a less demanding model (An Nvidia GTS 250, or my spare ATI 4770... I can't recall) but the system was booting up and running stable again.

Now I want to ask also about my memory. I am running Patriot ELK 1333 Mhz DDR2 that I have over volted to 1.75 V. I am wondering what kind of limits will I get with my overclocking with this memory? I know when I had the machine running at 2.91 Ghz I had to underclock the memory to 1066 or it would be unstable. I haven't touched the northbridge voltages, or anything besides vcore. Oh and also disabled C1E (speedstep?)

Lastly I wanted to mention I was getting about 60 C with my 2.91 Ghz OC using a Zalman 9900 LED. I want to go on record as saying I think that thing was a HUGE waste of money. My coolermaster hyper 212+ I was using on my Phenom II was way cooler (average temp with a 3.4 Ghz OC was 32 C after 24 hours of P95) and at the moment my Corsair H50 on the same Phenom II is within about 3 or 4 degrees C. Oh and last question, on my Skyburg (DP45SG) motherboard do I HAVE to use the 4 pin molex (aux PCIE power) if my video card uses external power? I've tried my OC both ways and no difference has been noted.

Solution
An Antec TruePower 550W. Seemed to fit the bill. Plenty of 12V rails and high enough to satisfy my needs. 80 Amps total over 4 rails works for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
80 amps = 960 watts. How do you get 960 watts out of a 550 watt PSU? Look at the label on the PSU. Below that, it says 45 amps total. A 4890 uses maybe 15 amps , so your TP 550 is certainly adequate.

Now I want to ask also about my memory. I am running Patriot ELK 1333 Mhz DDR2 that I have over volted to 1.75 V. I am wondering what kind of limits will I get with my overclocking with this memory?
??? I'm not going to chase the link down, but that has to be DDR3 RAM. If you are running DDR2 RAM at 1.75 volts, you are undervolting it...
An Antec TruePower 550W. Seemed to fit the bill. Plenty of 12V rails and high enough to satisfy my needs. 80 Amps total over 4 rails works for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
80 amps = 960 watts. How do you get 960 watts out of a 550 watt PSU? Look at the label on the PSU. Below that, it says 45 amps total. A 4890 uses maybe 15 amps , so your TP 550 is certainly adequate.

Now I want to ask also about my memory. I am running Patriot ELK 1333 Mhz DDR2 that I have over volted to 1.75 V. I am wondering what kind of limits will I get with my overclocking with this memory?
??? I'm not going to chase the link down, but that has to be DDR3 RAM. If you are running DDR2 RAM at 1.75 volts, you are undervolting it.

Lastly I wanted to mention I was getting about 60 C with my 2.91 Ghz OC using a Zalman 9900 LED.
60 C is not a bad load temp for a Core2 CPU and the Q8200's are known for not being particulary good overclockers. And while the Zalman 9000 series of HSF's certainly look neat (I have one on my knick-knack shelf - eBay, $15), by today's standards, they are over-priced and under-performing.

... do I HAVE to use the 4 pin molex (aux PCIE power) if my video card uses external power? I've tried my OC both ways and no difference has been noted.
The molex is there to provide extra power to the motherboard when you have two video cards installed. It has nothing to do with CPU power and therefore nothing to do with overclocking. I,m sure it's mentioned in your motherboard manual somewhere.

Now, here's what I recommend you do ...

Reset the BIOS to factory defaults and reinstall the Antec PSU and 4890. You need to find out if the PSU works. Antecs are pretty good PSU's but occasionally a bad one escapes the factory. Run the system on stock settings long enough to make sure it is good.

Then start overclocking.

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

This should be your second stop. You need to know something about thermal management or you can fry your CPU. It's actually kind of difficult to fry a modern CPU, but it is possible.
Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core-core-temperature-guide

Third stop will be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Solution
G

I've heard this motherboard was a real dog. Maybe it's just because initially it was so picky with memory or maybe it's just my processor that's a real dog. But either way I'm getting ready to swap this entire set up and remove the Zalman from it, install the stock HSF and put it in a spare case I have and call it a day. My Phenom II X3 720 is pretty quick at 3.4 Ghz and running nice and cool, so I guess that'll be my main rig for a while. I might use the Q8200 for video editing or tasks that require the 4 cores, but for the most part I'm getting ready to throw in the towel on this build.

Hell, anyone wanna buy a expensive boat anchor... err, Skyburg and Q8200? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.