GA-EX58-Extreme bad flash??

G

Hi guys, I have a major problem I need help with. I have a GA-EX58-Extreme that I have flashed to the latest bios, and now my PC wont post. I get 1 long beep and 51 (probably considered continuous) short beeps. Post code is C1, which would normally be considered to be a memory issue, then the board powers off, then on again a few seconds later with post code 88 and no beeps. Turning it off and on leads to the 88 code and no beep, but pulling the plug and clearing cmos returns it to C1 post code with the 1 long beep and continuous short beeps.

The memory is fine as I had memtest run for 10 hours making a pass an hour with no errors.

I think the bios is not corrupt, but wont detect my memory after the flash, as the backup bios did not kick in, neither did the bios boot sector recovery. No access is attepted to the floppy so can't upgrade via that. Its an award bios so cant force upgrade with key combination.

I need to force the bios to upgrade, either by forcing bad checksum (which i dont know which pins to short or even where they are as I cant see a bios chip as its probably under the 'Ultra durable 3' shielding) or by some other unknown method.

I need suggestions as I'm stuck and, to be honest, quite upset about it!

Thanks in advance.

G

thanks for the constructive reply, and I have read the manual. Maybe you can be a bit more helpful and tell me what your talking about?

G

Sorry for the double post but the forum wont allow me to edit.

I've come to the conclusion that the bios wont detect my ram. Had this issue with factory installed bios on first boot attempt, but after reseating the ram it was fine, and was fine for 11 hours of memtest. Cant flash back the bios because I cant get to the bios screen as ram has issues (C1 post message, 1 long beep, reboots, 1 long beep followed by continuous short beeps, reboot, followed by 88 and no beeps).

I'm using patriot viper extreme 1600mhz ram 9-9-9-24. Should be fine, but new bios seems to hate it. Can only think of buying a 512mb stick of ddr3 to get it to post, then flash back to F3.

Any thoughts? Thanks

kiasolas

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Ok, I've just solved my problem by :

1 - push the clear cmos button (and let it push)
2 - push my power-on button and let them both push around 10 seconds. anything appends, it's normal.
3 - release them (release the two buttons)
4 - push my power on button, and let the computer start.
It will restart several times, saying that the main bios is corrupted, and it will restore the main bios (automatically), using the backup bios, and finally boot correctly.