Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Major Problems with first build

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2008 12:07:43 AM

Hi. I just finished building my first computer and im not very happy.

Heres the story: I put together all of the parts, and connected all of the power connectors and plugged it in without a monitor. THe front led turned on, the dvd drive opened when supposed to, internal LED's were on (mobo, fans, graphics card), and the fans were blowing. Sounds good right?

Then, when connected to the monitor, it says "NO VIDEO INPUT DETECTED". I run through a mental checklist in my mind and realize that i forgot to plug in the 12 volt connector, expecting it to be an easy fix. Much to my dismay, the 12 volt connector is at the end of one of my PSU cords, and in a narrow gap between the heatsink and case wall. I eventually (took 20 minutes) manage to plug one of 2x 4 pin 12v connectors into the socket. I try to power up the computer and their is no response at all. No LED's, no fans, nothing.

That was last night. I just tried removing my large aftermarket heatsink and trying the connection with the Intel Stock one. Connection was easy to make this time, but again, no luck at all. I then tried unplugging the 12 volt rail and attempted to recreate the scenario that originally resulted in the fans coming on, etcetra. NOTHING.

I am afraid i either short circuited the mobo or psu somehow, or damaged the mobo while attempting to make the connection.

Heres a list of my (relevant) components:
Intel Q9550
Asus P5Q-E motherboard with P45 NB
OCZ 600W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
HD 4850 (Asus)
Antec 300 case (PSU mounting at the bottom caused not long enough cables)
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer Heatsink

Thank you so much for any suggestions, advice, or any feedback at all.

More about : major problems build

Anonymous
September 5, 2008 12:19:45 AM

you have to make sure EVERYTHING is off... basically disconnecting it from any kind of circuit before doing any work... its possible you did short something but i doubt it...

un plug ALL the wires from the components... and then replug all the wires back in...

make sure you have the HDD, DVD, Main Mobo connector (24 pin) the secondary cpu socket power connector (usually 8 pin... goes near the heatsink) and the gpu...

don't plug anything else you might have for the moment...

then plug only the keyboard, power cable, and dvi cable into the computer i/o shield

turn it on... you should know what to do from there

if theres still no response try removing the mobo battery and repeating above steps... just to make sure

if it's still not response you probably did end up shorting something... the only way to make sure though is to start swapping parts... if you don't have enough parts that can be a problem and i'm not sure as to what i should suggest in that circumstance
September 5, 2008 12:28:43 AM

thank for you for responding

i am considering entirely taking apart and rebuilding

the secondary cpu power connector (12 volt) was the problem, and its hard to tell on my mobo Asus P5Q-E whether its a 4 pin or 8 pin connection (manual says 8, but it looks like 4 pins are covered by black plastic guard.
Related resources
September 5, 2008 12:30:45 AM

Did you also plug in the 6-pin power connector to the graphics card?
September 5, 2008 12:33:24 AM

l_ght said:
thank for you for responding

i am considering entirely taking apart and rebuilding

the secondary cpu power connector (12 volt) was the problem, and its hard to tell on my mobo Asus P5Q-E whether its a 4 pin or 8 pin connection (manual says 8, but it looks like 4 pins are covered by black plastic guard.

That's not a guard, it's a guide. It's there so that people who don't have 8-pin power connectors will know which side to plug their 4-pin connectors. You were supposed to remove it if you have an 8-pin CPU power connector.
September 5, 2008 12:49:15 AM

i played with it a little bit and i didn't feel like i could pull it off without ripping the whole apparatus off of the motherboard

and i was still able to get some feedback (fans and leds) without that even plugged in, and now i can't, so more problems have arose
September 5, 2008 1:06:06 AM

Try assembling the system outside the case on a nonconductive surface. A phone book works nice. Don't set the motherboard on its bag, since that's a conductive bag.
!