JTL Reaction

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 1, 2004 7:31:02 PM

So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.

nib

More about : jtl reaction

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:08:03 PM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:31:02 -0600, nib
<individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote:

>So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
>JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
>week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>
>nib

Seems fine to me, not too buggy or laggy. If you own a hyperdrive
ship (basically any ship but the free starter ships), you can fly to
other planets instead of taking the scheduled flights. I discovered
yesterday that reaching Dathomir is a bit involved. With the inner
worlds, you can just fly directly to any other starport as if you were
on a private shuttle. I couldn't do that with Dath: I had to launch,
hyperjump to the Dathomir system, fly to the space station, and
request landing permission. If your time is more valuable to you,
just buying a ticket is simpler.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:37:26 AM

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:31:02 -0600, nib
<individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote:

>So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
>JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
>week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>
>nib

Bugs are minimal and inconsequential to most. I am sure you will find
a dissenting opinion though....

For me Lag has been an issue.... but that could be my computer too.
Although it never had that problem before. I got intermittant crashing
when loading but the CSR's tell be the Devs are working on that one.
Related resources
November 2, 2004 1:47:38 AM

"Tom Carman" <carmantom@cs.com> wrote in message
news:o 0gdo0dqjtg9t1l89re8s57k3g0ii10tum@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:31:02 -0600, nib
> <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote:
>
> >So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
> >JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
> >week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
> >
> >nib
>
> Seems fine to me, not too buggy or laggy. If you own a hyperdrive
> ship (basically any ship but the free starter ships), you can fly to
> other planets instead of taking the scheduled flights. I discovered
> yesterday that reaching Dathomir is a bit involved. With the inner
> worlds, you can just fly directly to any other starport as if you were
> on a private shuttle. I couldn't do that with Dath: I had to launch,
> hyperjump to the Dathomir system, fly to the space station, and
> request landing permission. If your time is more valuable to you,
> just buying a ticket is simpler.

Repost from another post I just made....

1.) Go to the space port where your ship is parked.
2.) Load up the Ticket Terminal as if you were going to buy a ticket.
Don't and immediately close the window.
3.) Access the Starship terminal and select your ship and choose to Travel
4.) Instead of the default Tatooine map and the core worlds being your only
option to travel to, you now have the map of the planet you are on as well
as all valid travel points.
5.) Pick your distination and travel.

You can go from Bestine to the Mining Outpost on Dantooine in one minute.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:40:26 AM

"nib" <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote in message
: So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
: JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
: week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
:
: nib

I've been playing since the 27th release. There has been a patch every day
since release, and even so I haven't experienced any bugs that would cause me
concern.

The SWG forums are full of ppl talking about how well the beta went, and how
unprecendented the involvment and information flow from the devs has been. I
remain skeptical about this new attitude of the devs, but I have to admit there
has been much more direct information about what they are dealing with and how
they are dealing with it.

Of course, the best way to find out is to get yourself a month and see.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 2:35:30 PM

nib wrote:

> So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
> JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
> week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>
> nib

The underlying engine is fairly stable. They get a B for that. Once they
fix a bug with top/bottom invulnerability, it will get a B+. Once they
tweak the AI to work better, it will get an A.

I see balance issues with the chassis. I see what they are doing. They
don't give you enough mass on purpose, so that if you want the UBER
stuff, you have to comprimise. My problem comes with the masses of Rebel
vs. Privateer vs. Imperial. There is some concern that the upper
imperial chassis don't have enough projectile slots. This boils down to
late changes made in beta. They really needed more criticism in this
arena before live, but they just ran out of time.

I rather like the reverse engineering model. With this, shipwrights are
able to use loot as raw materials to make better parts. This lets them
both have loot and have shipwright involvement. Whohoo.

In general, the devs have been great. They were constantly making
changes in beta based on feedback. They didn't always do what we wanted,
but where it came to balance issues, they listened closely. Many
missions are now possible because the community pointed out problems.

I like their new development model much more than their old one. It
isn't perfect, but it does produce better results.

CH
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 10:26:50 AM

"nib" <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote in message
> So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of JTL?
> Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last week so
> I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>
> nib

I enjoy it a great deal. I am honestly terrible at this type of game - with
a good joystick and some practice I am doin ok :)

Leveling is far less of a grind then the ground game. Missions are
enjoyable - they are made to feel a part of the "world" and the "story"

I find the ship and its components interesting and a challenge to outfit.

I like space in general (have the vet ship and just think its cool to go up
and look around at the planets and space)

I have found very few bugs over all. There are some...but nothing so
terrible that it is overly frustrating

Very few bugs.

The ground lag is back - and bad. No lag in space.

Grouping is a little more important in space. I have heard of people making
it to the higher levels solo - but not many.

I am not overly impressed with the "endgame" of space - but for now - I am
enjoying the ride :)

Ok - that post should be long enough - any other questions...let me know LOL

Ky'a/Cataine : Lowca
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 11:13:22 PM

I am enjoying it greatly. I have only two complaints - first the ground
game has definitely suffered. 1 gig used to be enough, now it seems that
it's not. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be. Arguably there is new
code and data for space, but since there is a loading sequence when you
change between space and ground it doesn't appear like the two are loaded
all at the same time. So why is it thrashing now, and why is the lag so
much worse? It might not have anything to do with JtL though, I was
starting to have problems when publish 10 came out.

Secondly, the lead indicator is wrong most of the time. The lead indicator
is supposed to show you how much to lead the target. Very often if I aim at
the lead indicator my shot goes past the target. If it was lag it should
undershoot, so this is not a lag problem. It's just not positioned
correctly in many cases, particularly when the deflection angle is small.
If I'm on somebody's tail I usually need to aim about halfway between the
ship and the lead indicator to get a solid hit.

I have had no bugs other than the above, but a friend of mine has been
frequently kicked back to the login screen since installing it, both in the
space game and on the ground game. He has also been getting network
disconnects and this was not happening before loading JtL. No idea what is
causing it and I haven't heard of anybody else having the problem, so maybe
it is just an isolated thing.

"nib" <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote in message
> So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of JTL?
> Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last week so
> I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>
> nib
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 1:11:11 AM

It's not just you IMO. I noticed a change with the 1st part of publish 11. My
ping increased, and the upstream and downstream from the server has changed,
sometimes dropping off to nothing at all for brief periods. All this occured
with publish 11 part 1.

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:31:02 -0600, nib
: <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote:
:
: >So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
: >JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
: >week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
: >
: >nib
:
: Bugs are minimal and inconsequential to most. I am sure you will find
: a dissenting opinion though....
:
: For me Lag has been an issue.... but that could be my computer too.
: Although it never had that problem before. I got intermittant crashing
: when loading but the CSR's tell be the Devs are working on that one.
:
:
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:13:04 PM

I have one quick suggestion for your friend - if he hasnt done one - tell
him to do a full scan.

I was having some Crash to Desktop problems - and they seem to have gone
away after i did that

Ky'a ~ Lowca

"Haqsau" <haqsauNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am enjoying it greatly. I have only two complaints - first the ground
>game has definitely suffered. 1 gig used to be enough, now it seems that
>it's not. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be. Arguably there is
>new code and data for space, but since there is a loading sequence when you
>change between space and ground it doesn't appear like the two are loaded
>all at the same time. So why is it thrashing now, and why is the lag so
>much worse? It might not have anything to do with JtL though, I was
>starting to have problems when publish 10 came out.
>
> Secondly, the lead indicator is wrong most of the time. The lead
> indicator is supposed to show you how much to lead the target. Very often
> if I aim at the lead indicator my shot goes past the target. If it was
> lag it should undershoot, so this is not a lag problem. It's just not
> positioned correctly in many cases, particularly when the deflection angle
> is small. If I'm on somebody's tail I usually need to aim about halfway
> between the ship and the lead indicator to get a solid hit.
>
> I have had no bugs other than the above, but a friend of mine has been
> frequently kicked back to the login screen since installing it, both in
> the space game and on the ground game. He has also been getting network
> disconnects and this was not happening before loading JtL. No idea what
> is causing it and I haven't heard of anybody else having the problem, so
> maybe it is just an isolated thing.
>

> "nib" <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote in message
>> So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
>> JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
>> week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>>
>> nib

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:42:20 PM

Thanks for the advice but that wasn't it. It turned out to be video
drivers. Which is a good thing, because that means it wasn't a JtL bug. :)

"Roberta" <starward@gmpexpress.net> wrote in message
>I have one quick suggestion for your friend - if he hasnt done one - tell
>him to do a full scan.
>
> I was having some Crash to Desktop problems - and they seem to have gone
> away after i did that
>
> Ky'a ~ Lowca
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 6:35:30 AM

nib <individual_news@nibsworld.com> wrote in message news:<2unrpvF2cb9lcU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> So, I'm curious, what has been the general reaction to the release of
> JTL? Was the launch stable? Bugs a problem? I canceled my account last
> week so I haven't been paying attention to the official forums lately.
>
> nib

I played the Beta for about an hour and didn't like it. Nows its gone
live I'm actually quite enjoying it. I'm 2222 and have been playing
for 2 nights however so I don't think its gonna last.

Pre-ordered my copy of WoW from the US of A so I can give that a try
when it is released.

Let just say JTL has got me playing SWG again but I'm not sure for how
long.
!