Help with rebooting XP HD

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hello,

I have an XP WDC 500GB Hard Drivbe with about 78GB on it inlciding my XP install. It has been fine for months but..

Starttd to take a long time to access files etc.. So.. with Seatools Dos did a check and it has 7 errors. Did not fix them.

When I boot into Windows it gets to the Windows Welcome screen with the blue vertical lines noving horiz in the bar but then it goes black and quickly shows a blue screen I cannot read and then reboots agin. Does this over and over even into Safe Mode.

In event viewer before it started this rebooting, it had shown a bad block.

What I would like to do is keep my Xp install so what is the best way for me to try and do that. I have my XP Disk.

When I boot to the XP CD it goes to the screen which shows the XP partition. There is no option to Repair just delete, add a partition of install.

I am hoping I can somehow replace the foles that are corrupted in these bad block areas, then fix the blocks.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

oz

Solution
You are welcome.
Yes. I have had to do this several times for different reasons - mostly for viruses and malware. After you do the repair, remember to to visit windows update site because the repair strips all the security updates from your drive.

After you finish you may wish to create another primary partition on your HDD for your "My Documents" folder. I've done this using partition magic 8 and EASEUS Partition Master 5.0.1 Home Edition. By doing so, you won't lose your personal files unless you have a catastrophic HDD failure, it takes less time to repair XP, and the XP partition will load a little faster because it's not cluttered with all the non-OS files.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Many thanks for the help. I now have that file and will try it.

In the meantime, I have put the HD in an external on another XP box and can see it and all the files okay.

I am getting off as many files as I can before I try anything.

Once I do this I wil boot to the CD and give the fix a go. Hopefully I will get XP access back again. If, not at least I will have all my data.

Am I still on the right track?

Many thanks again,

oz :)

You are welcome.
Yes. I have had to do this several times for different reasons - mostly for viruses and malware. After you do the repair, remember to to visit windows update site because the repair strips all the security updates from your drive.

After you finish you may wish to create another primary partition on your HDD for your "My Documents" folder. I've done this using partition magic 8 and EASEUS Partition Master 5.0.1 Home Edition. By doing so, you won't lose your personal files unless you have a catastrophic HDD failure, it takes less time to repair XP, and the XP partition will load a little faster because it's not cluttered with all the non-OS files.

Solution

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks..

Did the tests with WDDiags CD, Seatools and Chkdsk Dos and XP and they all came you with 'unrecoverable errors'.

Was still able to get to the disk through XP on another box so made sure I had all my data, then deleted everything.

Took the drive back to the store(MSY Sydney) and they gave me a new one! Hopefully this will be fine. I have always had better luck with Seagate Barracudas but I do have some new WDs which so far so good.

I am now re installing XP and then all my progs again.

A long haul..

Thanks agao.

oz :)