random crashes on brand new build

fantom-feltpen

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2008
heeeeellllllpp!!!!

my brand new system build is crashing randomly!! with normal usage (AKA internet, IM, itunes) it is fine, but as soon as i start a game or 3D application, IT CRASHES AFTER 10-15 minutes! its the blue screen of death!! :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou: :fou:

its not a problem with my graphics cards, because i know what it is like when they crash ([from OCing] image goes fuzzy and orange and then the card cuts out and then recovers). this is different... first it freezes up, then hangs, then goes to the blue screen of death saying it shutting down to prevent system damage :fou: :fou: :fou: :cry: :pfff:

its not from my CPU over heating, it runs at 45-48C full load.

i am not overclocking my CPU or GPU.

system specs:

mobo: asus m3n72-d sli (nvidia nforce 750a chipset)

CPU: amd phenom x4 9850 black edition

CPU cooler: ZEROTHERM zen fz120s

psu: thermaltake toughpower 700W sli certified

GPU: 2x EVGA 8800gt in sli

case: thermaltake tsunami with 2 extra fans (case mod)

RAM: 4gb kingston

please help, anything you can even suggest

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
A few things could be happening. Depending what you have in your rig, the graphics cards could start generating enough heat under load that your case gets too hot. And crashing is not limited to your CPU temp, could be your RAM or MB temps getting too high. You could also have problem with the PSU not being able to keep up with the system under load.

Have you tried just using one video card?

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I wouldn't say it's hot for the 8800GTs, but if you capturing that temp while they are mainly idle it doesn't mean much. Once they start cranking on a game they could go 70C or higher. Which would start causing heat problems.

Lefti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I had a problem like this with my new build, BSODs all the time. In my case it turned out that one of my memory modules was bad. I removed the bad module (to be sent back for a new one) and my system has been fine ever since.

I would recommend downloading memtest86+ and using it to test the RAM, if you find errors then you have probably found your problem.

If your 8800GT runs at 58 degrees at idle that's fine. My 8800GTX OC2 has even higher temps, because I let the fan slow down to minimize noise. I'm not getting any crashes.

I suspect you've got bad drivers. I used to get blue screens a lot until I got the November 2007 version of the drivers (for XP). It's been almost a year since my last blue screen. IIRC Vista drivers were just starting to support SLI at that time. Anyway, download the latest WHQL-certified drivers from nVidia's site and give them a try.

When you get your blue screen, it may tell you in which module. In my case, it was saying nv4_disp.dll, which was the nVidia driver. If yours is different, Google it or tell us what it is.

If your blue screen goes away immediately and you can't read it fast enough, you can make it stay put. The steps are for XP, but I think they're similar on Vista. Go to the desktop, right click My Computer, click Properties, Advanced, Settings (under startup & recovery), uncheck "Automatically restart".