Only 1 core reported

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I have an e5200 on an Asus P5kpl-am board overclocked to 3260mhz.

Real Temp, CPU z and XP's system performance only show 1 core. Does anyone know how I can see the other core?

benchies2-full;init:.jpg

Resetting BIOS and CMOS doesn't fix the problem. MSconfig only gives the option for 1 processor.

There is no entry for multiprocessor in the BIOS, although I think I saw this in the HAL options on WIndows setup (press F5 when setup asks for 3rd party SCSI and raid support).

When I installed XP I set the HAL to ACPI and not Multiprocessor ACPI. Is this the reason why I cannot see 2 cores? Will this affect the performance of the CPU, i.e. is my 5200 running at half its potential?

Changed the HAL to Standard PC but other core didn't register (didn't have an option to change it to multiprocessor).

If there is no performance hit then I don't think I will do a reinstall of Windows. I've only just got it running as I want it after a lot of stability problems initially with this PC's setup.

I'm guessing that my chip isn't just running on one core?! If it is, its doing a pretty splendid job all on its own.

Just looked (ctrl-f) through the pdf of the manual, doesn't mention multi processor.

Any ideas?

cheers

lib

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Had almost the same prob. try unistalling the acpi in safe mode, restart it and see if it installs the multiproc one. otherwise all i can think of is a format

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
As far as my experience goes You can switch to uniprocessror if it is installed as multiprocessor but You cannot switch back to multiprocessor. You will need to reinstall windows.

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks for the help. I'll try the uninstall when I get home.

Is there a performance issue in this instance? I assume both cores are being utilised, but only one being shown in Windows.

lib

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Is this true or a joke. Sorry if I don't get it.

Interesting... Care to enlighten us?

OP:

Before getting radical and reinstalling the OS. Go to the device manager and "delete" the CPU. Then Restart. That should force the OS to treat it as a new device.

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Oh....

.....heck

I'll try to change this in safemode and or delete the cpu as Scotteq said.

Works pretty well on 1 core I have to say

lib319

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Thanks to everyone for all the help. Reinstalled XP as a multiprocessor ACPI.

Got both cores reported now and my 3dMArk score has leapt up by over 1200.

Thanks again, appreciate it

lib

cymax

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
:hello:
I think Venom is right, but anyway, try another utility for checking the CPU, as CPU-Z is japanese and maybe outdated.

Which is really kind of stupid before the i7, because the Core 2 Quads can't actually disable the other cores, so disabling them will just prevent any work from being sent to them (but they'll still be on, just at idle). The i7 is different - it actually physically disables the cores that are shut off, and as a result, that strategy might work better.