Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Hi guys, im new to tomshardware.
i need help i just finished building my gaming rig and when i turned on the pc it started installing windows xp
i got an error message and now when i turn it on im stuck in a black screen with my temperatures.
i dont know how to install xp or boot the optical drive because it doesnt give me any option.
Motherboard is an intel Biostar p45.
Thanks

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Can you remember the error message you got when you were installing XP? Did it finish installing or did the error appear while installing XP? What are the temperature readings from your Motherboard and CPU?

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
the error said something like it stopped installing to prevent damage to pc,
cpu and whole system is running cool at 29 - 31 Celsius

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Something must be wrong with the hardware somewhere. Carefully check that your CPU heatsink/fan is properly installed and that all the power connectors are plugged in properly. Try to boot with just 1 memory stick.

If you have another cd rom, try to boot from a different one. Ocassionally you will get a cd rom that doesnt read from the cd well enough to install programs.

This may be a long shot but I have ran across this 3 or 4 times so far so its definitely possible.

Also, if you have a voltage tester to test your psu that would be my next thought...

I would say hard drive, except it seems to stop at that temperature and voltage screen. Disconnect all your drives and then try to boot with one memory stick to see if you can get into the BIOS. If you can't get into the BIOS it may be a bad board. It happens sometimes that you get a board that works perfectly fine only to fail shortly afterward. Of course I'd also test the PSU to make sure it didn't some how fry the board.

Nica Guy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
i disconnected both thee hdd and the optical drive and it gave me a message that no hardrive or optical drive was conected but when i connected the dvd drive it makes weird noised and nothing happened.