Please help, upgrading Hp power supply

Dremack

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I have 1 year ago Hp computer that has a 250 W power supply (Standard ATX case i believe)
and i need something better for a new vid card I'm going to get soon.

Here is the information Hp representatives have told me:

24 to 20 pin adapter

120 mm fan

ATX connector should be 24 pin

similar Dimension 53.3 x 33.8 into 24 centemeter

(these are some mobo specs i googled on my cpu)

# One 24-pin ATX power connector
# One 4-pin ATX power connector
# One PATA connector
# Four SATA connectors
# One floppy drive connector
# Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan

So anyways, I'm still unsure if i need 20+4 pin, 24 pin, or a 24 to 20 power supply from newegg.

With all the information provided, please help me.
thanks mate

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a power supply with a dividable 24-pin and you can use it either way. That's 20+4 pin. In addition, you'll need either an 8-pin or 4-pin ATX12v connector. I'd get one that's a 4+4 pin version of 8-pin.

HP, compaq, and most large system builders have used proprietary. Proprietary hardware is any hardware that will only work the given companys own systems. I cant say for sure the given powersupply is proprietary but there is a good chance.

I just upgraded my compaq presario, and it came with a 250 watt power supply; probably the same as yours, since hp owns compaq. I used an antec 350w with 20 pin atx connector, and it works perfectly. Newegg has an antec 650 watt on sale for only $50 with no rebates, and probably free shipping. check it out.

Dremack

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
yea, thanks O1die,

I have to buy one of these

I have found the 500 W antec power supply (good efficiency and pfc)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

and the Roswell that has the full requirements that crashman said
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182032

both around $50-60 and something under my spending limit.

So which one is safer to get? I was going to get Antec, but it doesn't say anything about 4+4/8pin 12v connector.

The Roswell one is sleeved properly and looks good as well. any suggestions?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Get the Antec if its between those 2.

I would measure the space that you have to install the PSU in also. HP are known for rather short PSU's so a regular atx psu may not fit in the space required. Ive also have had the 4 mounting screws not much up with the case holes (i just screwed 2 in rather than the 4 ;))