Results over Overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So here are the results from my overclocking adventures for the Intel Q8200. I added my stats in my signature and I wanted to get some feedback from this rig. Also I am linking my build up for this machine. The only additions I added after the fact was a 80MM blue LED fan over the CPU cooler as well.

What does everyone think?

851801.png

And the temps from prime 95 is a 100% load for about 30 minutes is MAX 62 C. Idle is 41 C. Ambient is about 20 C.

Q8200 Build Up and Transplant

Solution

15 minutes of P95 will max out the CPU temperature.

Time period for stability check? Depends on who you ask. I used to think 12 hours was enough. Then once when I was running the system overnight, I found that it failed at 14 hours. So I run P95 for 24 hours.

15 minutes of P95 will max out the CPU temperature.

Time period for stability check? Depends on who you ask. I used to think 12 hours was enough. Then once when I was running the system overnight, I found that it failed at 14 hours. So I run P95 for 24 hours.

Solution
G

So I played with my settings a little more. I backed off on the voltage to the cpu and ran it at default (1.25 I think? Maybe 1.275. Can't remember as my system just says DEFAULT in the bios). I left the DDR3 at 1066 Mhz (So I have room to play with timings) and set the FSB to 415 giving me a OC of 2.9 Ghz. I also ripped apart the system and put on some AS5 to the CPU and junked my stock antec tri-cool on the rear of my case and I have 2 2000 RPM fans stacked as blowers (pushing air out of the case) and the results are in from OCCT and P95 at 12 hours each. Core temp MAX was 59C and NO errors. (confirmed with realtemp and coretemp as well as the built in graphing tool) I was really impressed especially with stock voltage. It's feeling pretty stable at the moment. (I ran the Linpack because it's based off of the Intel binaries and seemed to me to be a better test of the CPU... like small FFT)

I was able to encode a 2 hour movie (Wild Wild West) in about 21 minutes and the machine is running pretty nice. The fans get on my nerves (anyone know of a good low RPM hi CFM 120 MM fan?? On the cheap?) but I am pretty happy with this setup. If I recall my FSB is now at 1600 and my memory is running at about 1360 Mhz if my memory isn't failing me (I mean my brain, not my hardware! ) (typing this on my laptops, sorry!) I'll do a CPU-Z dump tomorrow and update my signature.

Does everyone think running this at stock voltage is a good or bad thing? Also, and lastly, from what I've read about my DP45SG motherboard and this particular CPU 2.8-2.95 Ghz is pretty much the max that can be expected with this combo. Anyone else care to add to that thought? It seems pretty true to me. Max stable I ever got was 2.91 Ghz.

*Edit: Changed my Signature and uploaded the CPU-Z dump.

quadcoredump.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.