Problems with re-installing application

Hi,

Can anyone help with upgrading to XP?
Will all my settings from other programs and applications be deleted?

Many Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about problems installing application

    TB wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone help with upgrading to XP?
    > Will all my settings from other programs and applications be deleted?
    >
    > Many Thanks

    Since you haven't given us any details about your computer, you can't
    get specific advice. However, you should make sure your computer and
    installed software meet XP's requirements. You can run the XP Upgrade
    Advisor from here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

    If you do an upgrade install, your programs/data should not be lost.
    However, you should always have current and complete backups of your
    data. Here are links explaining about installing XP in great detail:

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html - Upgrade Issues
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm - Repair Install
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    TB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone help with upgrading to XP?

    "Help" with what, specifically? You haven't said what problem you're
    having.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    > Will all my settings from other programs and applications be deleted?

    WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
    system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
    translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
    designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
    can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
    important to you, back it up before proceeding.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I agree with the previous reply: Run the free Microsoft Upgrade Advisor !!!

    Then, listen to what it says, and make plans to handle all non-conforming
    hardware and/or software, before you upgrade.

    Consider adding RAM. XP loves RAM. It will run in 128 Meg, but it will run
    much better in 256 Meg. Check your PC or motherboard manual for RAM limits.
    My first PC with XP could only handle 384 Meg o RAM. More modern PCs can
    handle 2-4 Gig of RAM.

    As for disk space, XP can be squeezed into about 2 Gig, but in practice it
    wants more. My current WINDOWS directory is 3.26 Gig. Plus the swap space
    is 1 Gig, plus the hibernation file (same size as RAM), plus temporary files
    (up to another Gig, unless you clean often). Note that the swap file size
    can be controlled, and less swap is equired if RAM is larger. The
    hibernation option can be turned off. And, temporary files can be limited.

    I upgraded from 98 (first edition) to XP and found that the following needed
    to be treated:

    1. BIOS upgraded with year 2000 patch. (PC was built in 1998, so of course
    had pre-year 2000 BIOS.)
    2. Uninstall Norton antivirus and utilities, upgrade to XP, then re-install.
    Note that even though the version of Norton was XP-compatible, it had to be
    uninstalled/re-installed. Norton installs different DLLs for XP than for
    win9x operating systems.
    3. Uninstalled Easy CD Creator, upgade to XP, re-install and patch Easy CD
    creator.
    4. DVD player...I had to by a new one, since there was no upgade path for
    the one I had. Note that there are now some free DVD players that work with
    XP. Also, any post-XP DVDROM (or DVD-writer sould come with player software
    that is XP-compatible.
    5. Outlook (Office 97) stopped working. WORD and EXCEL (Office 97)
    continued to work fine.
    6. ALL user files were still available.
    7. Most settings/preferrence were maintained.
    8. Some DOS-based games failed to work, or worked poorly.

    CAUTION: On a good day, an upgrade to XP wil cause few, if any, problems.
    That was my case. BUT, on a bad day, the upgrade can, if it goes wrong,
    render the PC unbootable, and the only "fix" will be to to a clean install
    of XP by first formtting the C: drive. Thus, it is highly advisable to save
    all personal files OFF of the PC, or at least on a partition other than C:.
    BUT, do not use drag&drop writing to a CD. That can be specific to the
    software and/or operating system, and such a CD written under 98 may not be
    readbale under XP. In contrast, a CD writting in Joliet format and
    closed/finalied should be readable on any PC (or even on a MAC or LINUX
    box).

    In news:%230xsIzhsFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    TB <tim.boeckmann@gmail.com> typed:

    > Can anyone help with upgrading to XP?
    > Will all my settings from other programs and applications be
    > deleted?

    By definition, an "upgrade" (as opposed to a clean installation)
    means that all data, programs, etc. are kept intact.

    However there are no guarantees that it always works perfectly.
    However unlikely, it's always possible that something might go
    wrong. For that reason it's prudent to be sure you have a backup
    of anything you can't afford to lose before beginning.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP