Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express 2.0... is it worth it for our needs?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2008 1:05:56 AM

Hi guys,

I'm building a computer for a friend. Essentially he wants a computer for internet/school but one that can do a little bit of gaming as well. I'm trying to keep it as affordable as possible and I noticed that the motherboard costs with PCI express 2.0 are higher than those without it. My main question is if you guys feel that PCI-express 2.0 is worth the additional cost or if I should just get a cheaper MOBO with a pci-express video card?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

More about : pci express worth

September 30, 2008 1:10:42 AM

PCI-e 2.0 isn't necessary by any means. Unless you're going to be running an HD 4850 or higher, I don't think you'd be bottlenecked by PCI-e 1.x. However, if he might be upgrading his video card in a couple years, you might as well spring for PCI-e 2.0. I'd look for a cheap P43 board, myself.
September 30, 2008 1:48:21 AM

It doesn't offer any performance benefit. The only current cards that would be bottlenecked would be a 4870x2 and maybe a gtx280.
Related resources
September 30, 2008 1:07:11 PM

Thanks a lot :) 

Do you know how long until PCI Express becomes entirely obsolete?
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2008 1:52:15 PM

9800gx2 and 4870x2 come somewhat close. maybe next gen (ati 5xxx nvidia gtx3xx) will fully utilize pcei x16.
September 30, 2008 4:45:40 PM

It depends how often you upgrade your video card. Next gen's high end could see some hurt from only PCI-e 1.x. But if you're not going to be buying a higher end card, you'll be fine on 1.x until you need a new motherboard, too. Although, if you're looking at buying a new motherboard, I suggest grabbing a PCI-e 2.0 board, the cost difference seems negligible from what I've seen.
!