PCI Express 2.0... is it worth it for our needs?

Hi guys,

I'm building a computer for a friend. Essentially he wants a computer for internet/school but one that can do a little bit of gaming as well. I'm trying to keep it as affordable as possible and I noticed that the motherboard costs with PCI express 2.0 are higher than those without it. My main question is if you guys feel that PCI-express 2.0 is worth the additional cost or if I should just get a cheaper MOBO with a pci-express video card?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about express worth needs
  1. PCI-e 2.0 isn't necessary by any means. Unless you're going to be running an HD 4850 or higher, I don't think you'd be bottlenecked by PCI-e 1.x. However, if he might be upgrading his video card in a couple years, you might as well spring for PCI-e 2.0. I'd look for a cheap P43 board, myself.
  2. It doesn't offer any performance benefit. The only current cards that would be bottlenecked would be a 4870x2 and maybe a gtx280.
  3. Thanks a lot :)

Do you know how long until PCI Express becomes entirely obsolete?
  4. 9800gx2 and 4870x2 come somewhat close. maybe next gen (ati 5xxx nvidia gtx3xx) will fully utilize pcei x16.
  5. It depends how often you upgrade your video card. Next gen's high end could see some hurt from only PCI-e 1.x. But if you're not going to be buying a higher end card, you'll be fine on 1.x until you need a new motherboard, too. Although, if you're looking at buying a new motherboard, I suggest grabbing a PCI-e 2.0 board, the cost difference seems negligible from what I've seen.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer PCI Express Graphics